Toilet stub is too short and wrong size

Users who are viewing this thread

Trenhes

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm finishing my basement bathroom that was roughed in by the builder 18 years ago. I pulled out the red plastic that was covering the pipe. My problems are:

1. They left the pipe a 1 1/2" below the concrete.
2. They didn't pour around it completely so there are voids. No concrete to screw down flange.
3. A closet flange fit's sloppy in the pipe. After talking to the guys at a plumbing supply they determined that the plumber had stubbed up to the floor with sewer and drain pipe. The o.d. is the same as schedule 40 but the i.d. is slightly bigger so a flange falls right in. At first glance it looks like schedule 40, but a touch bigger on the inside. Walls of the pipe are a 1/4 in. The stub is 15" deep.

My thinking is cut out the concrete around the stub, cut off the pipe to where I could glue a coupling on the existing pipe, and then stub up above the floor with schedule 40, leave it long, pour my cement back around the pipe, and they cut it off even with the finished floor and use an inside flange.

The existing pipe is 4". I don't mind going to the work if this would be the proper way to fix this.

Thanks for any replies, Tod IMG_0012.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make an inside cutter if you want to drop it down a few inches before adding a coupling.
If you need to secure bolts on top, you can rotohammer in a flange repair ring with the attaching holes set farther out.

They left the pipe an 1-1/2" below the concrete.
Or maybe you can use a spigot closet flange, mated with a 4" coupling and 4" pipe since the pipe is 1.5" below slab now.
Trimming the upper portion by .5" would not be too hard.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
So is the concrete supposed to be your finished floor? If not, keep in mind that the flange sits on top
of the f.f., and there well may be something under it to attach to. Also, it is a violation of plumbing
code to embed pipes directly in concrete. Those plumbers did good.

Incidentally, wall thickness of 4 in. SDR35 sewer pipe is less than 1/8 in, so I don't think that's what you have.
Illegal to use that stuff in/under a house anyway.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is NOT S&D pipe, but if it were the I.D. would be the same as sch. 40 pipe and the O.D. would be smaller. They poured the concrete EXACTLY the way it should be and you need a flange that fits around the OUTSIDE of the pipe, not the inside.

Trenhes

Reaction score
Well I don't know what kind of pipe it is then, but I do know that a flange falls right inside, but a coupling fits tight on the o.d. I went ahead and cut out some concrete and did as Terry suggested and cut off the original pipe installed a coupling and came up above the slab with schedule 40. I'll finish my floor and cut off flush and install flange. When I re-pour my concrete what should I use for a barrier between pipe and concrete? Is some of that thin blue foam ok? Or how much clearance does there need to be around the stub.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks