toilet size question

Users who are viewing this thread

jerosenman

Reaction score
I want to install a new toilet in a small space. The rough in is 13.5 inches from the baseboard and 14 inches from the wall. I would like the edge of the bowl in front to be as close to the rear wall as possible. I unwittingly bought a Drake round bowl model. With the 12 inch rough in it sits several inches off the back wall and juts out into the room about 30 inches despite having dimensions of 26.5 inches length. I note that the Carlyle and Vespin can use a 14 inch rough in, but that doesnt seem to affect the final footprint of the toilet according to the diagrams I've looked at. I'd love a toilet that sits its forward edge about 26 or 27 inches from the rear wall and can use my current rough in. Any advice is appreciated...
jerosenman

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744s_footprint.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto makes some toilets that allow the bowl to be shifted back 2"
Vespin, Carlyle, Soiree, Gunivere to name a few.

However, those models are elongated (28") so the length into the room is pretty similar to mounted a standard 12" round bowl 26.5".
You do save about 1/2"

Every other 14" toilet by other makers, uses a 12" bowl, and a thicker tank. The bowl for those does not shift back.

rrdavis

Reaction score
Move toilet back?

I have the same problem described below: small bathroom, 13.5 inch rough in. I'd like to have as much space in front of the toilet as possible. What's the best solution? I don't want to move the drain, and the floor is concrete. Can a Toto be attached to a concrete floor using the Unifit? Looks like Toto's don't use the closet flange bolts. Would the Toto/Unifit result in increasing the space in front of the toilet as compared with a standard round-front 12 inch rough model?

Thanks for this site--I've learned a lot!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto toilets that use the Unifit are elongated bowl.
However, since you can pull them back 2" with the 10" kit, they wind up taking less space than the standard 12" round bowl that sits on a 13.5" rough.

rrdavis

Reaction score
Looks like Vespin for me!

Thanks Terry for the quick reply. I think the Vespin is the solution. I'll use the 14 inch Unifit, which with my 13.5 inch rough in will place the tank very close to the wall. I think I'll gain at least an inch in front of the toilet, and in a small space every inch counts.

I just need to check my water supply placement, and also make sure I can install the Unifit into my tile/concrete slab floor, and that should take care of it.

Any recommendations on the best way to install the Unifit into the tile/concrete slab would be most appreciated.

It's great being able to learn from others' experience before tackling these jobs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks