Toilet sits high but flange looks right...

Users who are viewing this thread

jpkara

Reaction score
Question about toilet installation

Hi - I replaced an old, cracked cast iron closet flange when I redid my bathroom floor. After the floor was installed I installed a twist and set flange so that the flange sits on the finished floor without any space between the flange and the linoleum. The flange is screwed to the subfloor. When I install the toilet it meets the flange and extrudes the wax ring to the point where there's no longer any wax between the bowl and the flange. The flange installation looks like the attached photo (which is not an actual photo of my installation, but represents the situation pretty well)

It seems like everything is installed properly yet the bowl doesn't sit on the floor - its about 3/8 inch high in the back and the bowl is tilted forward. The bowl is a 35 year old American Standard.

What am I missing? Were installation specs different when this bowl was made?

regards-
Jim

Attachments

• plvd-7.jpg
    plvd-7.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,533
Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Hi Jim, The only way you can correct the situation is to use a "marble slab" (they are now made of plastic not marble) as a spacer under the toilet, this will raise the toilet up about 3/8 of an inch and will leave a small amount of wax between the toilet & the flange. You could try buying a new toilet and hope, their will be more space between the toilet and the flange, but their are no guarantees.

I will send you a bill for the information at the end of the month. :D MPCC

Last edited:

jpkara

Reaction score
Thanks Cookie, seems like thats the next step then. I've replaced half a dozen toilets and never encountered a situation where the flange was installed 'correctly' and the toilet didn't seat properly. So does it seem like there's an error I may have overlooked or is it just the case that sometimes things just don't work?

Jim

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We would like to see a picture of the bottom of the toilet. Based on your description, a modern toilet should have no problem. Maybe there is something "different" with your old toilet?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
If it's 3/8" high in back and the bowl is tilted forward, does the front of the bowl hit the floor? What you may have is a floor that is out of level....just a thought.

Good luck

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
After the floor was installed I installed a twist and set flange so that the flange sits on the finished floor

It sounds like the inside diametre of your flange is smaller than the outside diametre of the wc outlet. Try changing your flange with a different type that will allow the wc horn(outlet ) to sit in the flange hole

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the ID of the pipe 3" or 4"? An inside fit flange on a 3" could give you problems.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like an inside 3" flange is what he installed... Are you using a wax ring that has plastic horn in it also? Double doom there!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks