Toilet Siphon Jet...small object blocking the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

smitty22

Reaction score
Hello. There is a small free floating piece that periodically restricts the water flow through the siphon jet in my toilet. I can feel it. But it's too big to be fit through the siphon hole. When it's restricting the flow, my toilet does not flush. Is there any way to remove this piece? Thanks...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On some toilets, the flapper valve sometimes comes with a float. Others here have indicated that they sometimes have become detached, and end up clogging the siphon jet once flushed down. You may have to end up trying to push it back out. Trying to grab it at the jet's outlet, as you've found, it probably nearly impossible.

If you emptied the water, and then took something like a coathanger wire, you might be able to fashion a hook on it, and pull it out or push it back. That would be a stretch, though. What might work would be to heat the end with a torch, then, try to push it into the thing, once it cooled, it might then become attached enough to pull it out, or maybe at least hold it where you could try to cut it up some so it was small enough to get out. Don't think there are likely to be any chemicals you could put in there to dissolve it, at least none that wouldn't risk problems with the plumbing.

Good luck, and let us know if you solve it, and how. Maybe someone else will have a better idea(s)...here's hoping.

smitty22

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The fact of the matter is that this toilet is only about 2 years old. It's an American Standard. It still looks good. And still flushes good when this small piece is not restricting it.
Wondering if I can pull the toilet off and turn it upside down and put a water hose in the siphon jet and reverse the flow and see if it'll be flushed out backwards? Is this possible? Thanks...

Have you considered a new toilet for other reasons? This could tip the balance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCadffYd8ok shows somebody with success just digging around.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. Read up on discussions that included "wax ring".

You turn off the valve that the hose from the toilet tank is connected to. (if the valve does not work well, replace the valve with a new 1/4 turn valve while you are at it) Unscrew hose from valve or toilet tank-- whichever is easier.

Flush. Remove water from tank and bowl with wet-dry vac or rag. Unscrew bolts. Flush out your debris with vac if you can. Otherwise use hose outside or in tub.

Clean old wax off. Put 1 or 2 wax rings in place. Set toilet back in place. Reconnect using teflon tape at valve,or at toilet -- I think no tape at that end.. Bolt down. Shim at rear floor if rocking. Apply caulk (not silicone) around forward 80% of toilet base at floor.

I probably missed something. Do more reading before acting. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?49017-Caulking-around-base-of-toilet-a-necessity-for https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45894-No-sealant-at-base-of-toilet https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?281-New-toilet-installation-leaks-around-wax-ring and many more

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd bet that whatever is in there has been in there since the toilet was installed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be anything, maybe even a loose piece of porcelain that eventually broke off, but more likely something that got in the tank and then flushed down. The more common thing is a float from a flapper valve, but I do not know if that model uses one...some do, some don't. If yours had one, it may have come off almost immediately. At 2-years old, you probably haven't had reason to replace one yet, but one plumber here indicated he found multiple one in there on an older toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Wondering if I can pull the toilet off and turn it upside down and put a water hose in the siphon jet

You should be able to turn it upside down and "shake" while twisting the bowl to get it to come back out of the tank connection opening, which is where it must have gone in in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks