toilet / shower / vent configuration

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by elliottdillon, Nov 23, 2008.

  1. elliottdillon

    elliottdillon New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm trying to configure a toilet, a bathtub/shower combo, and a dry vent in a 6 x 10 1st floor bathroom. My county uses 1999 BOCA code. Can the 2" dry vent be positioned as shown, upstream of the toilet? What other tips can you provide? For example, use a wye as a cleanout instead of a co tee, don't put a 45 roll on a combination wye+1/8 bend, etc.?
    Thank you.
    (drawn w/ free Google SketchUp)
     

    Attached Files:

    • DWV.jpg
      DWV.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
      2,192
  2. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    Occupation:
    Service Plumber
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Lets see now the toilet is not properly vented, the shower is not vented and has a running trap...

    What's the deal with the other pipe by the lav sink?
     
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

     
  4. elliottdillon

    elliottdillon New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    So the toilet vent must be on the toilet branch itself, or at least downstream of where the toilet branch drains into the 4" main? What is a running trap? The shower trap is about 16" from the shower drain. The drop from the drain to the trap is about 8". The vent is less than 5' from the shower trap. What am I missing?
     
  5. elliottdillon

    elliottdillon New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    The other pipe by the lav sink is the soil stack from the 2nd floor bath.
     
  6. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    Occupation:
    Service Plumber
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Okay and the fitting that it and the lav sink drain enter the 4" main is a ???

    How does the vent connect above?
     
  7. elliottdillon

    elliottdillon New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    The fitting that it and the lav sink drain enter the 4" main is a 3" combination wye+1/8 rolled 45 toward the wall. A wye plus a 45 elbow would fit in the available space, too.

    The 1st floor lav's vent proceeds to 6" above the 2nd floor lav's rim.
     
  8. elliottdillon

    elliottdillon New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    The 1st floor lav's vent proceeds to 6" above the 2nd floor lav's rim, where it joins the main stack vent.
     
  9. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    Occupation:
    Service Plumber
    Location:
    Connecticut
    In that case it would be the only part of your drawing that is correct.
     
  10. Obama the Plumber

    Obama the Plumber Plumber

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2008
    Occupation:
    Mad skills as a plumber
    Location:
    Washington DC
    The tub isn't vented or the toilet.

    With a toilet, you would go, toilet, then a vent, the vent being higher than the pipe for the toilet. Not the toilet being higher than the vent. Because air should be over that water. That is why vent pipes are on top of water pipes.
    And that is why you have an ocean, and then you have sky.
    If you turned it the other way, the fish would be flying and the birds would be swimming.
    If you pour water into an empty bucket, the water winds up on the bottom, and the air winds up being above the water, you can't make the air stay under the water, it bubbles back up and becomes the sky.
    And the fish like swimming in water.
    There is one bird that swims and flies, what bird is that you ask?
    Yeah, that's a good question too.
     
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  11. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    Occupation:
    Service Plumber
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Sounds like a cormorant to me...
     
  12. SewerRatz

    SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    Occupation:
    Chicago Illinois Licensed Plumber
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    May I suggest contracting a plumber to at least draw out some proper plans. At least he would know the code and how to lay out your drain, waste and vents. Also another option is to go get a permit for the job you plan to tackle and talk to the plumbing inspector 90% of the time they will be more than happy to help you do it right. The other 10% will tell you to hire a plumber.
     
Similar Threads: toilet shower
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice adding a shower to a toilet draindrain Jun 16, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice DWV Shower and Toilet Wet Vent? Jan 16, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Wet Vent from shower allowed for toilet? Nov 15, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice relocating toilet and shower (tub) drain Oct 13, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Need recommendation for Low Flow toilet, showerhead, and aerator for apartments May 15, 2014

Share This Page