toilet / shower / vent configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

elliottdillon

Reaction score
I'm trying to configure a toilet, a bathtub/shower combo, and a dry vent in a 6 x 10 1st floor bathroom. My county uses 1999 BOCA code. Can the 2" dry vent be positioned as shown, upstream of the toilet? What other tips can you provide? For example, use a wye as a cleanout instead of a co tee, don't put a 45 roll on a combination wye+1/8 bend, etc.?
Thank you.
(drawn w/ free Google SketchUp)

Attachments

• DWV.jpg
    DWV.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56,224

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lets see now the toilet is not properly vented, the shower is not vented and has a running trap...

What's the deal with the other pipe by the lav sink?

elliottdillon

Reaction score
So the toilet vent must be on the toilet branch itself, or at least downstream of where the toilet branch drains into the 4" main? What is a running trap? The shower trap is about 16" from the shower drain. The drop from the drain to the trap is about 8". The vent is less than 5' from the shower trap. What am I missing?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay and the fitting that it and the lav sink drain enter the 4" main is a ???

How does the vent connect above?

elliottdillon

Reaction score
The fitting that it and the lav sink drain enter the 4" main is a 3" combination wye+1/8 rolled 45 toward the wall. A wye plus a 45 elbow would fit in the available space, too.

The 1st floor lav's vent proceeds to 6" above the 2nd floor lav's rim.

elliottdillon

Reaction score
The 1st floor lav's vent proceeds to 6" above the 2nd floor lav's rim, where it joins the main stack vent.

Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
The tub isn't vented or the toilet.

With a toilet, you would go, toilet, then a vent, the vent being higher than the pipe for the toilet. Not the toilet being higher than the vent. Because air should be over that water. That is why vent pipes are on top of water pipes.
And that is why you have an ocean, and then you have sky.
If you turned it the other way, the fish would be flying and the birds would be swimming.
If you pour water into an empty bucket, the water winds up on the bottom, and the air winds up being above the water, you can't make the air stay under the water, it bubbles back up and becomes the sky.
And the fish like swimming in water.
There is one bird that swims and flies, what bird is that you ask?
Yeah, that's a good question too.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
May I suggest contracting a plumber to at least draw out some proper plans. At least he would know the code and how to lay out your drain, waste and vents. Also another option is to go get a permit for the job you plan to tackle and talk to the plumbing inspector 90% of the time they will be more than happy to help you do it right. The other 10% will tell you to hire a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks