Toilet Shim Material?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello all,

What are the best kind of toilet shims? It seems like wood would :p rot.

ps. how much wood would a woodchuck........ anyway, I;m still excited that I used back to back cognates.

TIA,
Molo

toilet-shims-terrylove-01.jpg

Rubber shims

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
In the lumber section of Low*s they have a plastic composit shim the same size as the wood ones or there are smaller plastic shims made for toilets, they should be in the plumbing section if they carry them.

shim_it.jpg

JohnD

Reaction score
Low*s carries them, they are in the toilet repair section.

I buy the "SHIM it" Engineered Wood Composite Shims sold at Lowes
100% useable, impervious to insects, no rot or waste

Resists Split, Swell, Splinter, Warp, Twist
edited by Terry

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Not an option for homeowner's but I use sheet roofing lead...
Cut a peice and fold it to the proper thickness then trim it with a utility knife or snips...
It is solid, soft enough it won't harm the china and inexpensive (leftovers from trimming around our roof drains....)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A wood shim will only rot if it contacts water. It would only contact water if there is a leak, in which case, your wood subfloor would rot as well.

bbail

Reaction score
Toilet Shim Material

Hmm, & what happens on a day with a high dew point & cold incoming water contacts the tank ? The tank sweats like crazy & drips to the floor unless you have a blending / mixing valve connected to the supply pipe. Depending on how often the toilet is flushed, is the base of the toilet condensating ? A non-wood shim product is the only answer for long term.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just swapped out toilets for a lady. The old toilet had two quarters in the back and two dimes and a nickle on the front... I guess they wanted change...:D :D :D :cool:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
bbail said:
Hmm, & what happens on a day with a high dew point & cold incoming water contacts the tank ? The tank sweats like crazy & drips to the floor unless you have a blending / mixing valve connected to the supply pipe. Depending on how often the toilet is flushed, is the base of the toilet condensating ? A non-wood shim product is the only answer for long term.

It's a good idea to caulk the base of the toilet, to keep any tank condensation, toilet overflows, etc. from getting under there and doing damage.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Randyj said:
I just swapped out toilets for a lady. The old toilet had two quarters in the back and two dimes and a nickle on the front... I guess they wanted change.

I was changing out a bifold track once and a whole bunch of coins fell on my head that someone had used to shim the track with.

Even better: I had to do a c-tile job in a shower recently where someone had used old newspaper as a backerboard.:eek:
As you might expect, it was extremely moldy, smelly and mostly composted by the time the tiles started popping loose.

Mike B

Reaction score
If you shim under the toilet to level it doesn't that cause the toilet to sit up off of the floor? Is that an ok setup?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The goal of shimming is to keep the toilet from rocking, which could break the seal, causing it to leak.

xnaron

Reaction score

The plastic door shims recommended by Terry will not rot.

shim_it.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cedar rots?
How much water is expected to be on the floor?
I've heard of "Wet Rooms" before, but your're talking sauna there.

We use a lot of clear PolySeamSeal.
If it gets wet, it turns back to white.
The only time that happens, there is a steady leak.
And if you have a steady leak, you are replacing floors.
The toilets we install are setting on dry floors.
Plastic shims. These are the best by far.

wedge-it-terrylove.jpg

I've been using these rubber shims lately.

shimming.jpg

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Old-growth cedar, clear heart, barely rots. Try finding it these days. 2nd & 3rd growth cedar, outer layer scraps like they use for shims... rots almost as easily as doug fir.

Just sayin'.

Raucina

Reaction score
Old growth heart doug fir will outlast second-third growth redwood and cedar anyday.

Most cedar on the market is junk wood.

Note that west coast surveyors insist on SUGAR PINE stakes, and I have some standing for 15 years now - 1/2" x 1-1/2" lath - amazing.

I agree that pennies are the best however, and incredibly they cost LESS than any of the wood or plastic shims mentioned. A gift from our government.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
So maybe doug fir wasn't the best choice of examples... I meant regular framing lumber, the average 2x4.

I've never seen clear-heart spruce, although now that you mention it I have heard of people using it on decks. Guess I should have said spruce?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Sioux Chief makes both plastic and rubber shims. I've often used the rubber ones because they're easy to cut flush with the china with a utility knife.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks