Toilet seat won't stay tight

Users who are viewing this thread

putterer

Reaction score
Sorry if this was covered under some other thread - I looked but found "squat".

New toilet seat with plastic hardware. It won't stay tight. This was not a cheap seat BTW. I've tightened it several times since installation but within a week or two, it's loose again. I used the parts that came with the seat.
The "screw" is plastic. The "nut" is plastic too but not a hex nut or wing nut - just has (4) little triangle wings that perhaps were to aid in hand tightening, which, so far, is all I have tried.

Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
Any suggestions?
You may be able to find or make something to serve as a bushing to take up the slop. I presume the symptom is that the toilet seat moves sideways easily. The problem is that the holes in the toilet are bigger than the bolt diameters. Try this search in a search engine:
toilet seat cone washers

I like the Bemis STA-TITE Seat Fastening System. IIRC, it effectively has bushings with springy sides that can adapt to different hole diameters but keep the bolts centered in the holes. Not expensive.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What brand and model of seat do you have? I once tried to tighten a plastic seat on a Glacier Bay toilet, and gave up in the end. I wound up replacing everything including the toilet.
Most seats will stay in place pretty well, with the lower nut typically having a cone shape that centers in the holes.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Start by replacing the plastic bolts and nuts you have now with a new set (very inexpensive).
Now, you have to use the correct screwdriver - usually a large size Phillips (#3). A small screwdriver can damage the bolt head. Get a set where the nuts have cone shape (as said before) and also a wing that helps in the tightening of the nut, by hitting the toilet body.

putterer

Reaction score
You may be able to find or make something to serve as a bushing to take up the slop. I presume the symptom is that the toilet seat moves sideways easily. The problem is that the holes in the toilet are bigger than the bolt diameters. Try this search in a search engine:
toilet seat cone washers

I like the Bemis STA-TITE Seat Fastening System. IIRC, it effectively has bushings with springy sides that can adapt to different hole diameters but keep the bolts centered in the holes. Not expensive.
Thanks.......I'll give it a try

putterer

Reaction score
What brand and model of seat do you have? I once tried to tighten a plastic seat on a Glacier Bay toilet, and gave up in the end. I wound up replacing everything including the toilet.
Most seats will stay in place pretty well, with the lower nut typically having a cone shape that centers in the holes.

Can't find a name on the seat and it's been a month or so since I bought it so....memory fails me

Asktom

Reaction score
I have used a rubber cone washer meant for 3/8" supply tube and a 1/2" slip joint nut pushed up from the bottom before the nut is tightened. It keeps the seat from wiggling and the nut from loosening.

Rod Kahn

Reaction score
also, look under the seat at the 4 contact points. The forward ones have a rubbery pad. but the rear doesnt even touch the rim. Maybe after you sit on it. The front ones are padded to reduce noise.

If you can add some stick on rubber bumper at the rear contact points, that might help keep the seat still. and help keep the bolts from loosening.

Aside from putting a short piece of tubing around the seat bolt to fill the gap. cone washers sound good too.
hmmm.....silicone caulk the bolt in the mounting hole. and let it cure.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like this style, never comes loose. There are a few other styles too that never come loose.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200117-084936_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200117-084936_Chrome.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 309
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks