Toilet seat extension

Users who are viewing this thread

DMS

Reaction score
I purchased an 'elongated toilet seat elevator' with arms from Carex, the existing toilet seat is supposed to go on top of this and the existing toilet seat hinge bolts are supposed to get swapped out and replaced with longer/larger diameter bolts supplied with the seat extension. None of my existing toilet seats will work because the hinge/ bolts are an integral piece and can't be swapped out. I bought a new Bemis seat that I thought would work but the hinge/bolts are plastic pieces that can't be swapped out either. Are there any toilet seats out there whose hinge make up will allow me to just swap out the smaller bolt with a larger one, or is my only option to try and find replacement hinges that will accept this larger bolt, and drill new holes .. The bolts that came with the 'Carex seat elevator' appear to be 5/16" thick,6" long, with a 5/8" slotted head. thanks

http://carex.com/itemFiles/B316_B317_Inst.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

DMS

Reaction score
Bemis and Church make some seats that use the standard bolts. There are very few seats that won't work with that.

Terry: I haven't found your above quote to be the case so far. I've only gone to the big box stores , but every seat I've seen there either has the hinge and post as one piece, or else has a plastic piece with small bolt attached that has to snap into the hinge in order to work, can't be changed. I'm obviously no plumber, maybe I'll try a plumbing supply store. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks