Toilet running won't stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I did watch your movie. If you lift up on that white arm from the fill valve, does flow stop?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a Fluidmaster fill valve. It may have some trash in it that is allowing it to leak. You could take it apart or replace the fill valve.
Here is the fluidmaster site:

http://www.fluidmaster.com/

Here is a video of how to flush debris out the valve:

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How about putting the camera on the tripod so it does not jump all over the place. You never really show the fill valve so I cannot tell if it is adjusted too high or just not completely shutting off. Also, why do you have to jiggle the flush lever to get it to flush. You may just need a good plumber to repair the tank so it works properly.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes when I’m in a hurry, which is most of the time, I replace only the top portion of the fluidmaster fill valve. When I’m doing work for my brother-in-law I don’t even shut the water off. I love the expression on his face when the water shoots up! He cups his hands over the water to direct it into the tank and I stick the new fluidmaster section on the shaft…..If you replace it with this easy method it is best to shut the water off. I don’t drain the tank but you could. Raise the locking collar up so the top part of the valve will raise up and down on the shaft/height adjusting screw. With the water turned off, grip the valve at the location of the locking collar and pull up on the valve till it pulls off the height adjusting screw. Then slightly open the water valve to flush out debris that might be in the lower part of the valve. You can put a cup over the top of the shaft and open the valve up to flush out any debris in the shaft. Then shut the water off again and install the new top section of the valve. Get the height right and slide the locking collar down to lock it in place…..When you buy a new fill valve just get one exactly like you have. You can pull it apart and see what I’m talking about. It is super easy and fast to do it this way. You’ll be the hero.

fluidmaster-400a-diagram.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks