Toilet Rough

Users who are viewing this thread

mc24713

Reaction score
We have a 10" rough for a toilet in our apt and got an estimate of $2200 to have it converted to a standard 12" rough. We're completing renovating the bathroom so it's the only time we'll be able to do this but the cost seems to me to be a bit steep - does anyone know if this is a fair cost or should I get another estimate? Thanks.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Would it not be better to put in a 10" rough-in toilet. Seems it would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

mc24713

Reaction score
We'd ideally like to install a Toto Neorest toilet which they don't make yet for a 10" rough, unfortunately.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of floor is it in? If it is a slab, that might not be too far out of line. If it is a wood floor, it sounds like they just don't want the job.

mc24713

Reaction score
We're tiling the floor with slate. The wall is currently painted drywall which we'll be covering with wood paneling later.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We'd ideally like to install a Toto Neorest toilet which they don't make yet for a 10" rough, unfortunately.

This, plus the $2200 rough-in fee, will possibly make it the most expensive toilet in the world. Are you rich? And, if so, are you married?

gold_bath_2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Without seeing the apartment, it's hard to tell.
Many Apartments in Manhatten were plumbed at 10" years ago.
Many of these were commercial 10" bowls with flushometer valves.
New toilets with tanks for the US, are built for standard 12" rough.
The Neorest uses the standard 12" rough.

Normally, it would only be a 10" if there was either a joist in the way, or someone missed in a concrete slab.

neo_500_top.jpg

Toto Neorest 500

Bosun

Reaction score
I'd be looking for a 10" toilet!

What does the labor include? Just redoing the rough? Who is fixing the floor, etc.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That is the nicest toilet I have ever seen. And I would buy it if I had a plug socket in the bathroom. A GFCI of course.

Hold the press. I have just seen the 600! What's the difference, except the much larger price tag? Wow.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question about the floor construction. Is it a slab, wood, or what? Do you have access to it from below, or does all of it have ot be done from above? If the structure isn't visible, it's a crap shoot as to what really needs to be done. It could be fairly easy, or it could be a real bear. Sounds like they think it will be a bear.

mc24713

Reaction score
The floor is being tiled with 12x24 slate and the work can only be done from above. We live in an apt building.

The labor cost to change the rough plus the cost of the Neorest is too much to justify for us right now. Just wanted to get a fairness reading of the estimated cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks