Toilet rough in Question

Users who are viewing this thread

vancouver

Reaction score
I'm new to this so please bear with me. I'm moving a master bathroom into a 10x10 spare bedroom. There will be a double vanity on the north wall, whirlpool and shower on the west wall and a toilet in a water closet on the south wall directly across the room from the double vanity. I was told that I could start at the vanity with a 1 1/2" vent, continue across the room where the tub and shower would tie in and then it would all tie into the 3" toilet drain. Because the toilet will sit perpendicular to the joists and there is a B-vent directly behind it, I have to turn the 90 from the toilet perpendicular to the toilet then make an immediate 90 back, cut through 2 joists then the joist change direction and it's a straight run to the main 4" stack 16' away. Can I just use a 3x3x2 tee under the toilet so that the sinks, tub and shower can just drain directly into it or do I have to try to use a wye somewhere further down the line wherever I can get access???

Thanks in advance.

And I'm in Vancouver, BC if that makes a difference...

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I hope you don't intend on cutting 3" pipe through two floor joists. And if you are trying to describe a wet vent installation, then no, 1.5" is not enough.

vancouver

Reaction score
I have already cut the holes. I had a contractor come by and take a look and he said that because of the position of the joists and supports, it wouldn't be a problem. It was actually his suggestion. The holes are in the middle of the 2x10 joists.
I don't think I'm describing a wet vent. The 1.5" vent would run between the sinks and straight up into the attic and roof.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Drilling a hole larger than 3" (you probably drilled 3&5/8 minimum) breaks established rules for a 2x10 joist. Most people probably look the other way, but those rules are there for a reason. I just hope you guys added additional support, or that there is a load bearing wall spanning the joists from below. I can't comment on your piping run, as not enough detail has been given for me to clearly understand what you intend to do.

vancouver

Reaction score
The joists end shortly after the cuts. We can support them from below as it's a furnace room underneath. I'll try to describe the plumbing scenario better. It would start with a 1.5" or 2" if required. That would come from the roof, through the attic, down the north wall and tie into the 2" double vanity drain. This would then run down into the floor between the joists south across the room. The tub and shower on the west wall would both tie into the 2" vanity drain, I'm assuming using a wye and 45's. I have already drilled the holes through the joists for the 2" pipe from the shower and tub. Once the sinks, tub and shower are all tied in together, it would continue south between the joists where it would meet the toilet. As I described earlier, the toilet sits perpendicular to the joists so the idea was to run the 2" drain directly into a 3x3x2 tee fitting at the toilet and then turn 90, go through the joists that have been cut and straight to the main stack 16' away. The vanities are about 11 feet away from the toilet.
So the question is would that tee fitting or something similar work on the toilet and is the one vent on the north wall enough.

Thanks again for the quick replies.

vancouver

Reaction score
I guess the real question is could I use something like the image link below to tie directly into the toilet or do I have to tie into the 3" toilet drain past the toilet?

Attachments

• 417726.gif
    417726.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks