Toilet rough-in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

DoggyDan

Reaction score
I built a house a few years ago and have been finishing it as time allows. I'm working on a bathroom and changed the tub and toilet rough-ins. I moved the toilet rough-in to the next truss pocket. I cut back the 3" ABS waste line, added 45- and 22-1/2-degree elbows and a 12-inch horizontal run to the final location (a very gradual bend). This new section has a good fall into the existing horizontal run (the existing run has about a 20-foot horizontal run to the soil stack). A very reputable plumber roughed-in my house and used what appears to be a 90-degree vent elbow (both ends female with a fairly tight bend) instead of a closet bend. I have already replaced the elbow with a similar one but I am having second thoughts as to whether the bend is too sharp. If I replace it with a closet bend, I don't think that I can maintain a proper pitch without leaving the top of the elbow too hign in relation to the floor. This is a second-floor bathroom and the plumber did the same with a toilet on the first floor. The first-floor toilet is a 3.5-gallon model with no problem flushing. The new toilet is a 1.6-gallon model. I'm thinking that if the solids make it through the toilet trap, they will make it through the elbow. How much sharper is the bend in a vent 90 vs. a closet bend? I don't relish the thought of changing this as it is in a location that is very difficult to work on. Also. ABS fittings aren't available at area DIY centers, plumbing supply houses won't sell to non-plumbers, and I don't want to transition to PVC. I'd like to trust the plumber that roughed-in the house and keep the installation as is but I am interested in your advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
closet bend

A closet bend is almost a 90 degree square corner so it will fit anywhere a conventional elbow was used and even where a conventional elbow will not fit. And I, personally, have NEVER used a 3" elbow for a toilet connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks