Toilet rough in is 15 1/2 inches - help!

Users who are viewing this thread

hkfilmfan

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here - we are in the process of replacing 2 old toilets and after doing some research here on this site I realized we might be in trouble with one of our toilets. It has an incredible 15 1/2 inch rough in! The toilet is so far away from the wall that it hits the door, not allowing the door to be opened all the way. We think the contractor mixed up the toilets in the house since the other one has a 10 1/2 inch rough in and is a smaller toilet than the 15 1/2 inch one.

We've lived with it for all the time we've lived with in the house, but now we need to replace the toilet. I've been looking at the Totos with Unifit but they only go to 14 inches. Our floor is a slab foundation.

So, my questions: are we going to have to live with the toilet being a few inches from the wall and blocking the door or is there a toilet on the market that might fit in the rough in space? If the foundation is slab can a contractor reposition the pipe to fit a regular rough in (without a bathroom remodel)?

Any help you can give will certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Totos that use the Unifit adapter typically have 3/4" behind them when the rough-in is correct, so you'd have just about 2-1/4" if it is really 15-1/2". It looks like the Carlyle would stick out 29.5" from the wall (28" plus the 'extra' you have). Every other 14" rough-in toilet just makes a thicker tank, so it would stick out a few more inches.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the foundation is slab can a contractor reposition the pipe to fit a regular rough in (without a bathroom remodel)?

The slab has to be busted up and then re-poured around the new pipes. The area that needs breaking up might be small or large and there's little way to tell for sure before getting in there.

All this is murder on the floor covering, but might not affect your walls or other fixtures at all. If your floor is vinyl, you might get away pretty easy on the flooring. Ceramic would likely have to be totally re-done, unless you have a lot of spares on hand.

I would not rule out fixing the rough in without first talking to a plumber about what would be involved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks