toilet rough in dimension?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rick.a, Jan 29, 2007.

1. rick.a

rick.a New Member

I am shopping for a new toilet and want to get the correct size. I have replaced them in the past and had ugly space between the tank and the wall. Is this determined by the "rough in" dimension? I see that toilets commonly come in 10, 12, and 14" rough in sizes. How is this measured? Is it back wall to center of drain? and is this center commonly measured by the bolts that are on the sides of the drain and secure the toilet to it?

By the way, I have a 1958 toilet that has 2 sets of floor bolts. Are the REAR ones at the sides of the drain? This is what it looks like.

thanks,
    Rick.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You are correct, you measure from the finished wall to the center of the drain pipe, and that is also the bolt location in the flange. Toilets do not generally fit tight against the wall, a couple of inches or so is fairly common between the tank and the wall. Different brands of toilets will fit differently. I don't know about the 4 bolt model you have.
  3. solsacre

solsacre Plumber

It's an AM standard I bet....
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

measurement

The front holes can either be additional screws into the floor, or more common, dummies. The rear bolts are the ones you measure to.
  5. rick.a

rick.a New Member

OK, that's all that I need.

thanks,
    Rick