Toilet rough in dimension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
I am shopping for a new toilet and want to get the correct size. I have replaced them in the past and had ugly space between the tank and the wall. Is this determined by the "rough in" dimension? I see that toilets commonly come in 10, 12, and 14" rough in sizes. How is this measured? Is it back wall to center of drain? and is this center commonly measured by the bolts that are on the sides of the drain and secure the toilet to it?

By the way, I have a 1958 toilet that has 2 sets of floor bolts. Are the REAR ones at the sides of the drain? This is what it looks like.

thanks,
Rick.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are correct, you measure from the finished wall to the center of the drain pipe, and that is also the bolt location in the flange. Toilets do not generally fit tight against the wall, a couple of inches or so is fairly common between the tank and the wall. Different brands of toilets will fit differently. I don't know about the 4 bolt model you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks