Toilet rough in. 12"

Users who are viewing this thread

neverfollow

Reaction score
I have a question about toilet rough-in. I am about to replace the toilets in the house and i believe the toilets that came w/ the house has a 12" rough in.
However, in one of the bathrooms I try measuring it, its around 11.5" give or take, was wondering am i suppose to buy a toilet with 12" rough in or what should i
do because i dont think they have anything with 11.5". Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, make sure you are measuring properly...the dimension is from the center of the flange to the wall, not the baseboard. But, as Terry said, most toilets have at least some space behind them when installed on a full 12" rough-in and nearly any one would fit at 11.5". You can view the diagrams from many of the toilets on the web before purchase to verify before purchase.

JerryR

Reaction score
Last month I installed 2 Toto Drakes based on what I read on this site.

Master bath had 11" from wall to center of drain. I installed a 12" rough in Eco Drake (1.28 gal) and it has about 3/8" space between the back of the tank and the wall.

Guest bath drain was 9.25" from wall to bolts. I installed a 10" rough in Drake and it has about 1/2" space behind the tank.

I can't tell any difference in flush power or bowl wash between the 1.28 and 1.6 gal versions. I actually swapped tanks to see if there is any difference and see none. I left the 1.28 tank on the master toilet since we use that 95% of the time.

I have to say the Drakes amaze me.

My mother just had a Kohler Cimmaron installed and the Toto drake is much better.

Last edited:

dknarnd

Reaction score
THis Eco Drake that you installed was it the round or elongated? The elongated specs. give yoiu 1 1/8" space between tank and wall so I see that this mostly likely will fit the 11" rough but the round bowl specs. only indicate a 3/4" space between tank and wall so I would assume this model would not fit on a 11" rough.

satyenshah

Reaction score
I found out last weekend (the hard way) that the Drake II won't fit a 11.5" rough in even though it's supposed to.

According to the CAD drawings on totousa.com, the Drake II should rough-in less than 11.5", but that does not appear to be the case. In my bathroom, the actual rough-in for the Drake II is around 11-11/16 instead of the specified 11-3/16. I'm guessing that number because my tank hits the wall before meeting the contact point on the bowl. Toto's CAD drawings show the Drake II tank having a 7.0" depth, but my Drake II tank has an 8-1/8" depth, and my Eco Drake tank has a 7-3/8" depth. I think Toto might have changed the Drake II tank dimensions without updating the drawings. I wrote to Toto tech support to ask about the discrepancy and the rep's answer was simply "specifications are subject to change."

Question for Terry: do you think the tanks for Drake I/II are interchangeable? With the Drake II, Toto made the tank less wide, but more deep than the Eco Drake, probably for aesthetic reasons. If the bolt/outlet pattern is the same, then the simple answer is to match a Drake II bowl with a Drake I tank, if rough-in is tight and you want the Drake II flush.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Was the tank fully seated to the bowl (i.e., making contact or at least very close)? Things can end up tilted until that happens. But, if it was parallel with the wall, further tightening won't make any difference.

satyenshah

Reaction score
The tank is touching the two front contact points on the bowl. The tank is elevated (by perhaps 1/8") from the single back contact point on the bowl. So, the tank is tilted frontward. Can't tilt it further backward because it's already touching the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We install the Drake II at 11.5" all the time. Have you put a level on the wall? Sometimes the back wall will lean in.

You can also shift the bolts out from the wall about 1/4".
The horn of the bowl is 2-5/8" and the drain is 3-0"
That gives you some room to shift things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks