Toilet recommendation for narrow space

Users who are viewing this thread

patp

Reaction score
I am looking to replace a toilet on our main floor but it is a very narrow space and with the current toilet, the door just barely clears the toilet in order to open and close. I am currently considering a Toto toilet with an elongated bowl. Would anyone have a recommendation on the toilet to use in my situation? I've been looking at the Aquia II, Drake II, and Ultramax II so far.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Of those, the Aquia II is a shorter distance from back to front at 27-1/4" and then add 1/2" behind the tank for a 12" rough.
The Drake II and Ultramax II are 28-1/4".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FIrst thing to do is to measure the distance from the finished wall to the toilet bolts holding the toilet in place. That will possibly restrict what toilets you could install without issues. If it is not 10, 12 (preferably), or 14", there are no toilets manufactured that will fit reliably. Each toilet and model will have some slop - some have more room behind them than others. The spec sheets are written to imply you have a perfect install. If it is slightly closer to the wall, the distance it will project from the wall will be correspondingly smaller, and vice-versa. Then, you can fudge things a little bit by sliding the bolts along their slots to gain maybe as much as 3/8" either direction without impacting performance.

Reach4

Reaction score
In some cases, a swing-out door on a bathroom is also good.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If possible, a pocket door can really help...I have one in my master bath. It can sometimes be really tough, though, as there can't be anything inside of the wall - wiring, boxes, plumbing, ductwork, etc. While not as common is a surface, sliding door might work.

patp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I finally ended up purchasing the Ultramax II and installed it in our upstairs main bathroom and took the one from the upstairs bathroom to put downstairs since it was a rounded seat as opposed to the elongated. I'm super happy with the Ultramax so far although it's only been an hour or two now. Toilet looks good and I like the cyclone flush. Seems like it should do a decent job keeping the toilet cleaner for longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks