Toilet plumbing question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by REXAMUS, Nov 1, 2012.

1. REXAMUS

REXAMUS New Member

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect...if I'm wrong that would be good.

But if I'm not what's the best way to handle this? Could I just try and cap the pipe where the AAV is? or do I need to just rip it all off and re-do it correctly?

IMAG0862.jpg IMAG0863.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

AAVs have to be verical to operate correctly. Many small AAVs say they are for use with sinks not a toilet.
  3. REXAMUS

REXAMUS New Member

Yes, I am trying to correct someone else's work. Could I just try and cap the pipe where the AAV is? or do I need to just rip it all off and re-do it correctly?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Well............You need a vent somewhere within six feet.
    Normally there is a lav nearby that you can wet vent it with. In the West, you would be running 2" through the roof.
  5. REXAMUS

REXAMUS New Member

Yep, that's what I have.
  6. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

To meet code, that #12 romex running under the joist need to be protected with a "running board". In reality, it's not a serious safety issue -- unless you start hanging clothes from it. :)
  7. REXAMUS

REXAMUS New Member

Thanks for the reminder. I am going to put it up last as it would reduce my mobility crawling around under there. No need to worry about any clothes since it's a crawl space lol.