*^%$*% toilet phlange

Users who are viewing this thread

duct tape pro

Reaction score
Hi,
Just a few additions to my Q above.

I came across a flange repair/replacement that has the flange and about 3.5" of pipe. You just push it in and twist to expand a rubber seal.
With the attached pipe, I"m thinking it may be better than the spacer thing shown above.
1. What says the group on this??

Also, with my subfloor, since there's a half inch fir added to the 5/8 I'm putting in,
2. am I good for tile with a total of 1 1/8" total thickness or is it just the top sheet of wood that counts for the tile?

There was a 3rd Q but my sieve brain just forgot it. Will add when I remember.
<edit>
Just remembered third Q.
3. One source I read says screw to the joists and one says don't. I'm tending to believe don't screw to joist for the 2nd layer of subfloor.
right or wrong?
thx/
Thx in Adv.

J

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While there is an approved method of installing tile directly to two layers of plywood, everything has to be installed perfectly, and it is not usually recommended to non-pros...there is too much room for error, and most installations aren't perfect. If you insist, you must use a highly modified thinset ($$$) to attach the tile. It is much safer to install a membrane or cbu first. The thinner ones add about 1/8" to the installation. EasyMat from www.custombuildingproducts.com or Ditra from www.schluter.com are two...there are others.

You need to leave an expansion joint against any rigid surface such as at the room edges. 1/8" is fine. Normally, this is covered by the baseboard trim, so no caulk is required. You could caulk the edge against the tub.

The goal is to isolate the time from the rigid surfaces...you don't want to screw to the joists. Your biggest problem will be the fact that 1/2" ply is very difficult to get screws to hold in...you will often end up stripping the hole since there isn't much there. Also, the sheets should be offset from those underneath approximately 1/4 of the span. If your joists are at 16" on center, the end of the sheet should start about 4" from that centerline. You don't want any first layer and second layer joints to line up.

I have no experience with that flange extender..no comment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks