Toilet Phantom Flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

CeeCeeU

Reaction score
We have had a problem with our toilet suddenly making a flushing sound by its self. My husband replaced all the parts inside the tank except for the handle. Everything looks good; however, it is still making the flushing noise. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Mark the water height, after water has stopped, with a pencil within the tank. An hour later, compare the water height with your mark. Has the water level in the tank changed?

If no difference, how often does the phantom flash occur?

CeeCeeU

Reaction score
Thanks. We've marked the water height and am waiting to see what happens. The phantom flush occurs approximately every 3-4 hours.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
My husband replaced all the parts inside the tank except for the handle.

Does the tank have a flapper and if so did your husband also replace the part it attaches to? He would have had to remove the tank from the bowl to replace the entire flush valve. I often just replace the flapper but do have to replace the valve if it is deteriorated.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toilet-flush-valves.html

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We can get a little more detailed.

First, for what it's worth, TURN OFF THE WATER TO THE TOILET before doing the thing Smooky suggested. My guess is that the tank will have declined quite a bit in an hour.

This means that the tank is leaking into the bowl. I'm a little thrown by your statement that you have already replaced all the parts, but we will see. Usually what you are experiencing is that the water is leaking slowly out of the tank into the bowl and the water fill valve is turning on to refill the tank, then turning off.

You can tell us the make and maybe model of the toilet from looking in the tank, and even give us a photo of what's in the tank, and that may let us help more.

One suggestion: I'm not sure what parts your husband replaced, but one possibility left if the flapper is working properly is that your refill hose (the rubber thing from the fill valve to the overflow riser) might be stuck down in the overflow riser rather than positioned above it on a clip. If so, what often happens is that a siphon develops which pulls the water through the refill hose and down that riser, leading the toilet to need to refill.

CeeCeeU

Reaction score
We found the big flat screw underneath the flapper needed to be tightened more. I think this will take care of it. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks