Toilet Paper Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

SchizoNiko

Reaction score
Issues

I'm going to be incredibly honest about the situation at hand. Normally I would lie to make myself look like less of an idiot, but no amount of lying will cover this up. So here we go.

Sunday afternoon I'd just used the bathroom and as I stood to flush the toilet, I accidentally knocked in a nearly full roll of toilet paper. Not wanting to reach into the toilet after using it, I pried it up enough to get the cardboard out. Then I let it sit, thinking it would dissolve a little. Hours later I came back and flushed. What happened was a gurgle noise followed by a massive overflow of my toilet.

That's why I feel like an idiot. It's been three days and many wet towels later and it still won't flush right. When I flush, the toilet fills with water so high that I have to use a pitcher to scoop it into my bathtub before it overflows (I haven't used the toilet since Sunday; I've just been trying to unclog it). I fetched the plunger, but yielded no results. Just before it starts to fill, there is a gurgle and a large bubble from the bottom.

It doesn't fill uncontrollably; the water stops rising in a little bit, but it tries to use three times the amount of water it should to fill the bowl.

I'm not ready to shell out bucks to a plumber, and I'm hoping that there is either something I can do, or if it will just take a little longer for that huge block of toilet paper to dissolve.

I'm desperate for help.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That clump of toilet paper probably didn't go very far. For about $30 or so, you can buy a toilet auger which should let you retrieve the stuff. Or, pay a plumber to do it for you.

The alternative is to remove the toilet - the clump of paper is probably stuck inside. You can probably push it back out from beneath. If it made it to the pipe, you can probably see it and dig it out. For about $2-3 and a new wax ring to put the toilet back, it might be the cheapest way to go.

SchizoNiko

Reaction score
You say it hasn't gone far. Is there any possibility of forcing it out through household means? Is there anything acidic that can be used to dissolve it? Or do you suppose it would dissolve on its own after a little while? (As you can see, I'm really cheap; if I can do it myself I would.)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that it is probably just out of sight, stuck in the toilet. You could try making a hook out of a metal coathanger, but it is likely to scratch the toilet, or if it doesn't, leave marks. A closet auger has a padded section that lets you get it far enough out of sight so that the auger doesn't contact the parts you can see.

You might even be able to pull some of it out if you stick your hand in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks