Toilet or Septic Problem?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by MarkIW, Jan 25, 2005.

1. MarkIW

MarkIW New Member

A little over a year ago, I installed two Crane Economiser toilets with the power-assist flush. One toilet, in the upper level of our split-level house, has worked fine ever since. The toilet on the main level worked fine for awhile, but then acted up. It would flush, but afterwards the water level would come up to the right height and then immediately drop down to almost nothing. I re-set the toilet on a new wax ring and the problem quit for nearly a year. Then the problem returned, so I tried resetting it again without success. I thought there might be a partial blockage, but found nothing. The shower drain ties in 4' in front of the toilet and it doesn't back up. You can hear the toilet gurgle when you shower, though. Tonight I went into the crawl space under the bathroom to double-check on a blockage. When I opened the clean-out, the water just kept flowing out without stopping -- at least 30 gallons. So then I went to the clean-out at the septic tank, cracked it open, saw it was completely full and gave up. The septic tank was last pumped about 18 months ago. Ideas?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  2. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

Check for a plugged vent.
  3. Hube

Hube New Member

When you look into a septic tank they always appear to be somewhat full. Unless this is only a 'holding 'tank,I believe you have a blocked/damaged tile bed/leaching field.
  4. MarkIW

MarkIW New Member

Checked vents, other ideas?

The snow had melted enough to get on the roof yesterday afternoon, so I ran a snake down the vent - and the other vents and found no blockages.
    Regarding the septic field, if it was that, wouldn't there be other signs, like problems with the other toilet, with the shower, with the tub, and with the sinks?
    Any other ideas or should I call a pro? If a pro, should it be a plumber or a septic company?
    Thanks for the help!