Toilet not refilling

Users who are viewing this thread

Bowman

Reaction score
I had an issue yesterday where I had to replace the copper pipe that brings cold water into my house.

That job went successfully but created another problem. Now the toilet in the back bathroom will not refill with water.

I took off the flexi tube that comes into the tank and there is no water coming out of it either. I mean none.

The water pressure is good elsewhere in the house.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bowman

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've run into that problem many times... yours may be different but many times I've found trash clogging the supply line valve or just clogging the supply line. This has been especially true with old galvanized pipes and occassionally old copper pipes. When you mess with old metal pipes all the scale, rust, corrosion breaks loose and clogs up everything. I just remove the supply line valve and clean up everything I can. You might wish to screw on a hosepipe bib and run a hose pipe to the tub or into the toilet to flush the lines.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Or take the top off the ballcock and push a wire down into the supply pipe and flush it out.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yeppers... very good advice P1... that will work too! I think the last time I did that the water shot all the way up to the ceiling and more garbage crapped up the valve....but I'm sure it would have worked perfectly well in lots of cases... as a matter of fact I've got to do something similar in my neighbor's kitchen sink one day this week (very slow hot water there after new plumbing and HW heater installed.)

Bowman

Reaction score
That's it

Thanks everybody. another problem solved...

Cheers,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks