toilet line failed the peppermint test

Users who are viewing this thread

John J.

Reaction score
I have been in combat with drain flies for the last 8 months. The recent development is the vent line for the bathroom toilet failed the pepperment test. I first put peppermint in all the vents, located the problem to one bathroom (this bathroom has two vents) and then isoloated the toilet vent as the one that failed the peppermint test. Now the question is what to do without just doing major demolotion to the house and the yard. Would appreciate any tips on what the next course of action would be to further isolate the problem. Is there a liner that can be inserted in the toilet line to eliminate the breach? I am hoping to find a fix before my wife leaves me, I'm surprised she has hung on this long. thank you for any wisdom.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm confused. Why would you be demo-ing the yard to get to a vent line? When you say it failed the test, who did the sniffing and where did you smell it? Could be you just need a new wax ring for the toilet. And why is the wife leaving? Are you suggesting that you have been smelling sewer gas somewhere?

Reach4

Reaction score
I looked up drain flies and peppermint test.

Presuming that your problem toilet keeps water in the bottom at pretty much the same level as after a flush, the problem would probably the seal on the "closet flange". You can replace that, or get it replaced. One or two wax rings are the classic method.

Inspect the toilet, to make sure the toilet is not glued down with silicone. If it is, extra measures will be needed before proceeding.

So you would shut off the water to the toilet, flush, drain all water from the tank and bowl with a rag that you keep wringing out. Remove the nuts, lift the toilet, clean and inspect the flange. Based on what you see, put in the appropriate seal, and replace the toilet.

If you had considered putting in a different toilet, this would be a good time to move on that. That would require a new seal anyway.

John J.

Reaction score
I'm confused. Why would you be demo-ing the yard to get to a vent line? When you say it failed the test, who did the sniffing and where did you smell it? Could be you just need a new wax ring for the toilet. And why is the wife leaving? Are you suggesting that you have been smelling sewer gas somewhere?
the peppermint smell was strongest around the toilet, which is why I thought the problem was in the toilet line, but the line breach could be somewhere else. About 3 weeks ago, I pulled the toilet off and replaced the wax ring and it is tight as a drum and not leaking. I did the test myself and had other family members do the sniffing. The problem I have is not sewer gas, it is drain flies. I am attempting to find out where I have a breach in my pipes that is allowing the drain flies to populate

Queen50

Reaction score
the peppermint smell was strongest around the toilet, which is why I thought the problem was in the toilet line, but the line breach could be somewhere else. About 3 weeks ago, I pulled the toilet off and replaced the wax ring and it is tight as a drum and not leaking. I did the test myself and had other family members do the sniffing. The problem I have is not sewer gas, it is drain flies. I am attempting to find out where I have a breach in my pipes that is allowing the drain flies to populate
Have you checked the sink drain? If you have a popup, a lot of hair & gunk gets trapped on it making it a perfect breeding ground for drain flies. Once they emerge they go whereever it's wet. Just plunging it doesn't help; you have to remove the popup complete to get the gunk off. In the meantime, use a trap to kill some of them. Fill a tall thin bottle or jar with a couple of inches of apple cider vinegar, then add a drop of liquid soap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks