Users who are viewing this thread

ChristineChandler

Reaction score
Please help me. What causes a toilet lid to bang into the tank when someone sits down? I just moved into a house and decided to change the toilet seats. It is a Toto Elongated Drake model ST743S or ST48S (hard to tell). I have tried several soft close and as soon as anyone sits down, the lid bangs loudly into the tank. We are average size.

This wasn't a problem with the previous lid but for sanitation I decided to replace it. I neglected to see the model or brand because I didn't think there would be a problem changing a toilet seat. Please help me. This is embarrassing.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that the sound does not occur when somebody touches down on the seat on the seat, but rather when the user's back pushes the seat lid toward the tank? Did I understand correctly?

Those toilet tank lids are not tight fits, and they can slide some. If somebody re-centers the tank lid on the tank between uses, that sounds normal to me. Either don't re-center the lid, or don't lean back.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The old lids probably opened all the way so they were touching the tank and could NOT "bang back" when someone leaned against them. THe new seats have a "stop" to hold them upright, but it is NOT able to keep the lid from bending back and banging when someone leans back against it.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"This is embarrassing."

It shouldn't be. Try an original replacement seat from Toto.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that your toilet does not rock on the floor and that the tank itself has almost imperceptible movement between itself and the bowl.

If the bowl does not sit tight to the floor, it will compromise the wax seal, and that movement may be the source of enough movement to make the seat hit.

If everything IS tight, as said, when you lean back, the plastic seat top is not strong enough to prevent it from bending back to hit the tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
the plastic seat top is not strong enough to prevent it from bending back to hit the tank.

The HINGES are what let it bend back and hit the tank, NOT the seat top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks