Toilet leaks than stops

Users who are viewing this thread

Sammy410

Reaction score
I have a slow leak in my toilet tank. Tried the food color and it leaked into the bowl. Replaced the flapper and cleaned the seating but still leaks. Turned off the water supply and noticed the tank leaks about 1/2 inch down then it stops leaking. The tank never drains all the way down. What could be the problem?

Reach4

Reaction score
The most common cause is the refill tube going down into the overflow tube. That refill tube should be held above the top of the overflow tube by a clip.

Even with the clip, water can sometimes climb the clip holding the refill tube over the overflow by capillary action. Re-positioning the clip could solve that, as could a different clip.

The easiest workaround is to not fill the tank as high.

See See https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...-review-and-pictures.55843/page-7#post-423736 post 130, and maybe others. The climbing action was not 1/2 inch. If yours climbs a half inch, maybe post a picture.

Sammy410

Reaction score
You were absolutely right!! I moved the clip higher up on the overflow tune and the leaking stopped. Thank you...you are the best!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks