**** toilet leaking internally

Users who are viewing this thread

loach1

Reaction score
E-Bay toilet leaking internally
Ok, I know I should've known better, but what a deal! I bought a no-name brand one piece because it had dual flush and looked great. It could be great, except it had two visible leaks (one underneath and one in the tank) that I repaired. Once repaired I now see that there is a third internal leak because the bowl empties very quickly after filling. The water leaks to the trapway, but I cannot see where the leak is taking place.

The dilemma is that return shipping is more than the cost of a new toilet and it would be at my expense. The supplier has offered a replacement as long as I pay shipping, which I have accepted. I had hoped that I would be able to fix the first and have two new toilets.

My question is: Is there a product available that can stop an internal leak? I remember Wynns Stop-Leak working very well on car cooling systems, but I think it needed heat and oxygen to cure.

It would be nice to salvage this toilet if possible, but if there is no repair method it's off to the dump. I hope the replacement is OK!

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A high arcing trajectory into a dumpster cures them every time!

They never leak and cause water damage to a home again!
So now they get yet more money out of you for shipping....

May I suggest purchasing a Toto Drake locally!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would suggest purchasing any toilet you want locally.

What if the new toilet leaks also????

At least if you purchase locally you can return it and there is no shipping.

loach1

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on purchasing locally. I had no idea that toilets had such a propensity to leak internally - I'm amazed that the factory did not detect the leaks.

I explained the decisions that I have already made and they cannot be reversed, so I was looking for a solution to an internal leak. I have found the solution myself: after making a hole under the toilet I found a hole that allowed water to drain from the bowl into the trapway. Fortunately it is readily accessible now and JB weld will save the day. Unfortunately I will have to fiberglass over the new hole that I made since there is supposed to be water in the area.

I refuse to be defeated by a humble toilet! Job almost done...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime a toilet is trucked, it can get bounced around.
There is a reason many retailers like myself will not ship toilets.

I only do hand delivery in the Seattle area and Los Angeles.
This way I know the product is good.

Though if you are buying something that needs patching, that's just poor workmanship. Good luck when you finally get all the leaks fixed.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on purchasing locally. I had no idea that toilets had such a propensity to leak internally - I'm amazed that the factory did not detect the leaks.

I explained the decisions that I have already made and they cannot be reversed, so I was looking for a solution to an internal leak. I have found the solution myself: after making a hole under the toilet I found a hole that allowed water to drain from the bowl into the trapway. Fortunately it is readily accessible now and JB weld will save the day. Unfortunately I will have to fiberglass over the new hole that I made since there is supposed to be water in the area.

I refuse to be defeated by a humble toilet! Job almost done...

So, if I understand correctly - you've made a hole in your floor to find the leak in the toilet, you are planning to use JB Weld to fix the hole in the toilet, and they use fiberglass to fix the hole in the floor?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly - you've made a hole in your floor to find the leak in the toilet, you are planning to use JB Weld to fix the hole in the toilet, and they use fiberglass to fix the hole in the floor?

Thats the way I read it too!

Here's you sign!

Personally I'd grab tha 3 lb. hammer and start whacking on the top of the toilet smashing it down until I get access to the hole in the bottom of the trap then I'd patch it!

Last edited:

loach1

Reaction score
Hahahaha! No I haven't made a hole in the floor, but I felt like it a few times because this has been very frustrating. I made a hole in the base rim of the toilet to access the leak area. It took quite a while to find out where to knock the hole, but I was right on when I went in.

I agree with the workmanship comment - this is shoddy stuff, which I can't see being made worse by shipping (in this instance).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks