toilet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

lindab

Reaction score
I have 3 toilets. One rarely used. Another toilet-an aging eljer needs jiggling from time to time after flushing to help stop water running into bowl. Last night, I flushed it again to see if it would stop and later found that water and brown/black remnants were found in another bathroom shower with opaque water leaking under recently installed Toto Dalton toilet which I have really liked as it is a little higher and works fine.

What are my options. I got drano build up remover but haven't tried it yet. I figured I would use it in the eljer. I have thought of replacing the Eljer but not sure if that is solution and what to think about water leaking from under newer Toto and does the seal now need to be replaced there. If I consult with a plumber(not on a Sunday) what should I be looking for exactly. At the moment there is no water leaking or coming up anywhere but it has now happened twice so feel it won't resolve itself without something being done.

Thanks in advance. Linda

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In most toilets, when you flush, the chain lifts up a rubber flapper to allow the water stored in the tank to create the flush. If you have to jiggle the handle, you are repositioning that flapper valve. Take a look in the tank. If the chain linking the handle to the flapper is too long, sometimes it can get caught under the flapper. Also, being rubber (synthetic usually), it eventually will fail. If you use any of those chlorine tabs or other things in the tank, they can fail very quickly. If this flapper is soft and feels slimey, the chlorine in the water has degraded it enough so it won't reliably seal. Sometimes, the seat (where the flapper sits and seals) can get an accumulation of old rubber bits or could have a defect...it should be smooth if you rub you finger across it.

Need more info about that brown liquid. Does it smell? When do you notice it happening? Can you tell where it is coming from in more detail? Does it look like rusty water? When you installed the Dalton, did you use a wax ring? Does that toilet rock when you sit on it?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
With water backing into the shower and under a toilet it sure sounds like you have a sewer condition

What is the draino thing?

lindab

Reaction score
I tried buying a replacement kit a few years ago and for the first time replaced what I could inside the toilet but as it was an older style, I used a couple pieces from what was in toilet tank. It has worked pretty much okay til recently but I will never tackle it again as it took me 2 days and certainly a plumber do it in less and I promised myself the toilet would be replaced next time. I can't imagine why I thought I could actually do the work.

I don't know what the black/brown stuff was in the other bathroom shower and don't even want to think about what it might have been, feces?

My problem at the moment is even replacing a toilet, I don't know (1)how long it will take to get a plumber here and (2)why leak problem is going to other bathroom other than it is what I was told was a low point 7 years ago when I had very powerful air or water blown through drainage pipes( ?). Let me say that it was $275 for first hour and $150 for second and no problem til last night.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks