Toilet Keeps Running

Users who are viewing this thread

bdw72

Reaction score
I have an American standard 2037 one piece toilet and the it keeps running. So I replaced the flapper, and that did not fix it, so I ordered an American Standard flapper assembly with seal and all. Still leaks....so I turned off the water and checked it the next morning, and the water only drains half way. I would think that if it was the flapper, it would drain all the way, but it does not. I am stumped on this one, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
bdw72

Reach4

Reaction score
I think your logic is good. First, make sure that the overflow tube from the fill valve does not extend down the overflow pipe. It would have to be really long to explain your symptom, so that is very unlikely to be the problem in your case.

What I think I would do is to note the water level that the water drops to. I would then cause the water to settle an inch or two higher than that level, let the water become very still. The best way might be to fill the tank, turn off the water, and then wait 5 hours or whatever it takes. That would give very still water. Then drop in some drops food color from just above the water level. Watch the flow. You should be able to see the flow toward the leak. Ideally you will find the flow is into a cracked overflow pipe. Then repair or replace that.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A leak around the flapper CAN drain only part-way, because the leak stops when the water pressure above it is reduced. However, that's not normally what happens. Is possible, though.

A siphon resulting from the fill tube being stuck down the overflow riser is a very likely possibility. Give us a picture of the inside of the toilet. The hose should be clipped above the riser and the water flow pointed into the riser.

I don't know what you mean by flapper assembly. If you mean the whole flush valve assembly, and you removed the whole assembly and replaced it, then the problem isn't a cracked overflow tube. If you mean just the flapper and seat, but you left the overflow riser in place, then a crack in the overflow riser at about the point the water settles to is probable. Sometimes, the crack is vertical from the top to the place where the water settles. Often, it starts under where the clip for the fill tube attaches to the overflow riser. Take off the clip and pinch the overflow riser and see if you can't see it cracked and separated.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While not as common of an issue, whatever is used to anchor the flush valve assembly in place (a gasket and maybe some screws or bolts) may not be either tight or the gasket has worn, allowing water to flow around the thing into the bowl. On a 2-piece toilet, there's usually a big nut on the bottom of the tank that can be snugged up. Not sure what they use on a one-piece toilet to make that seal.

bdw72

Reaction score
After messing around with the toilet a couple more times, the toilet has stopped leaking, not sure why. Here is what I know. The flapper is new OEM, along with the assembly (with seal) all OEM. The overflow tube is porcelain (built into the side of the toilet). I was literally getting ready to put food coloring in it, filled it up, and got a phone call, came back in 20 minutes and it was at the correct level. That didn't happen before, so I left it for a couple of hours, still at the normal level, and finally left it overnight and all is good. No more leak!! Just wish I knew how I fixed it!?! I appreciate everyone's help I could not have done it (whatever it was) without your guidance..... Thank You!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks