toilet is backed-up, but slowly unclogs

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Jasmine123, May 14, 2007.

1. Jasmine123

Jasmine123 New Member

Since buying a (Toto) Drake last month, it has clogged twice, although I hold the toilet handle down on flushing. Now I'm thinking in terms of: (1) getting a power-assisted toilet, (2) buying a good snake to have on-hand, or (3) using more Metamucil. The plumber's "friend" I use doesn't help at all and it seems to stir-up the water in the bowl more than anything else.
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Clog

You have a clog! it dosen't matter what you buy the drain line needs to be cleaned out.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The drain line is most likely clogged. A different toilet won't help. You need to have the drain snaked. Do not try chemical cleaners, they will not clear the clog, but they will create a potential hazard for whomever you finally hire to clear the clog. It is possible that something is jammed in the toilet's trap and slowing the flush. You can try a small snake on that or remove the toilet and go for the underside to dislodge the obstruction. Use a new wax ring when you reset the toilet.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The clog could be as simple as the wax ring slipped during installation, or you used an extra thick one when a normal one would have been fine. Some people think the extra thick one solves problems, but for a properly installed flange, it can actually create some. I agree, it is not the toilet, it is the drain line. Nothing in a toilet will slowly allow stuff to drain out, it either goes or it doesn't, and with Totos, it usually goes (unless the line is clogged).