Toilet installation. Floor slopes back to front. Ideas? Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

wrea398

Reaction score
Hello guys. Bill here. I have a dumb question about a sloping floor in a bathroom and installing a toilet. Im sure that this has been answered 100 times but I will ask again. I freind of mine asked me to set a toilet for him. The NEW tiled floor (installed by him) slopes a bit. Its high behind the toilet and low in front of the toilet. When I dry fit the new toilet the base site 95% flush to the floor on all sides with basically no rocking. I have a very slight 1/16" gap that I can shim easily so the side to side is 100% level. My issue is the front to back level is 1/4" off. The front of the toilet needs a 1/4" shim to make it perfectly level. I have read in here that you should only shim the back if possible. I can place a 1/4' shim under the front of the base and its perfetly level. The question is this.... Should I leave 1/4" shim up front and have an unsightly caulk or grout joint or should I remove the shim and have a tight gap all the way around but the toilet but it will be 1/4" out of level? You cannot see the "out of level" when its flush with the sloped floor. If the performance of the toilet wont be affected while not level...this would be easiest... Your thoughts?? Thanks in advance..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fit the bowl flush to the floor.
It's better to have too much water in the bowl to start anyway. Better then too little.
1/4" front to back is almost level. Shimming the front of the bowl always looks like a mistake.

Last edited:

wrea398

Reaction score
RE: Thanks!

Thanks Terry. This was my thought as well. Just wanted to make 100% sure as I have only installed about 5 toilets ever. I appreciate the super quick response!!

Alex-

Reaction score
What if your toilet slopes back to front? A dry fit of my new toilet revealed that the back is 0.5cm lower than the front. Almost a 1/4", but sits pretty flush with the floor. Would you shim it in this case?

Alex-

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I will need a shim or two on one side, but other than that it's flat on the floor. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks