Toilet Heights,,,, Why so tall? Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Duckmanfoochew

Reaction score
I have just replaced a toilet in my wife's bathroom with a Foremost eco-to-go with a 17" measurement to from the floor to the top of the bowl. Her feet barely touch the floor and it puts her in a very uncomfortable position for making no. 2.

Is there some reason why toilets are so tall these days???

The store, Rona, is willing to take my toilet back, but now I have to replace it with something.

Any suggestions, other than ToTo, with a high map?

Thanks so much!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You bought a "handicapped height" toilet, which IS 17" high. Get a conventional one and it will be the standard 15" high. Lower than that and you get into Kid's and Kindergarten sized ones, which would only be appropriate if she were a "little person".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ADA or handicap height toilets are a couple of inches higher than the standard height. The ADA height is approximately the same as a standard dining room chair. Many of us non-handicapped folks find that ADA toilets are far more comfortable than the standard height, especially when getting up. It is true that shorter adults prefer the standard height for the reason you cite. Not sure why you want to avoid a Toto. It's your choice, but I'd suggest you get a good plunger to go with your new toilet.

Duckmanfoochew

Reaction score
I only have access to Home Depot in my area and they don't stock Toto. So I am hoping to find something on their shelf that can suit my needs.

Toto drake cant be the only option?!?

Thanks,

D

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The reality is Big Box Stores stock what will sell for cheap. Totos are not sold in discount stores. Have you contacted "real" plumbing stores in your area? Often they can order a Toto even though they may not stock them. You can find them on-line as well. Terry does not ship them because of the problems of damage in shipping, but other places will. You also may find a Toto dealer not too far away as I did. Fortunately for me, that happens to to Terry Love! If all of this fails, an American Standard is likely your best choice. Just inspect it carefully before installing and be prepared to return it as AS has many defective toilets mixed in with acceptable ones.

Reaction score
In regards to "inspect it carefully" it is best to do this first in the store. Save yourself a trip...or two. And if it is an American Standard you might even want to try seating the tank and tightening it down in the store first. They have a habit of installing a rubber gasket that is too thick to obtain 3 point contact.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Runs with bison makes a very good point. AS's quality control leaves much to be desired. Several of the regular pros tell of having to make 3 or 4 trips to exchange mis-cast or otherwise defective AS toilets before finding a good one. That's very costly for a professional plumber. You and I as DIYers can live with 3 or 4 trips back to the store. Truth be known, I rarely can complete a project without a couple of trips to get more or different parts.:p But for a pro, that's money out their pocket.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

If your toilet tank makes "3 point contact", you are setting yourself up for a possible cracked tank someday. It should ALWAYS be free floating. The three bolts are to make it level in both directions and when tightened properly will have little if any movement.

Reaction score
If your toilet tank makes "3 point contact", you are setting yourself up for a possible cracked tank someday. It should ALWAYS be free floating. The three bolts are to make it level in both directions and when tightened properly will have little if any movement.

The Toto installation instructions on page 2 say: "Once level, tighten the bolts equally until the tank makes THREE POINTS OF CONTACT with the bowl."

(I'm not shouting above, Toto used all caps for that so I'm repeating their emphasis.) For the Toto it is two bolts vs. three, but I'm guessing that was a small typo in your post or perhaps some AS units have 3 bolts?

I followed the directions as written. I didn't tighten past that and stopped as soon as the final point made contact.

My old tanks also appeared to be solid, not rocking/"free floating." So if you aren't doing three are you going for two point contact...one point contact...no point contact?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto uses a cradle and two bolts.
It's been working fine.
The reason for no more then three points of contact is,
It's impossible to get four without breaking something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks