Toilet handle isn't returning to orginal position?

Users who are viewing this thread

MrDoh

Reaction score
I have a Toto Ultramax toilet that has been okay over the years. Replaced the fill valve, that's about it. Recently the trip lever on it broke, and the toilet couldn't be flushed (of course). So I got a new trip lever, installed it, and it was great for a couple of days. Nice easy flush cycle, easy push on the handle, and then the handle popped up and the fill cycle began. All good.

Now, the handle goes down fine to start the flush, and the flapper valve inside comes up. But then the handle doesn't return to it's original position, stays down, so the flapper valve doesn't fully close unless I manually raise the handle back to horizontal (the original position). When I look inside, it appears that the trip lever isn't dropping as far as it did when I installed the replacement, and I can push on it a little and it drops, which allows the flapper valve to finally seat properly.

I've experimented with the chain length, about the only thing that there is to do, and tried lengthening it to allow the flapper valve to seat properly and start the tank fill after emptying. That doesn't seem to help, if anything makes the problem worse, since with the chain longer it's harder to get the flush cycle to start.

It's almost like the trip lever mechanism needs lubrication so that it will drop back to where it's supposed to go so that the flapper valve seats and the tank actually starts to fill. But I wanted to ask people who know more than I do (most people do *smile*) if there's something else that I can do to get the trip lever to drop to where it was when I did the replacement. It bothers me that it worked right immediately after the replacement, and just a couple of days later seems to be sticking.

If it could be remedied with lubrication, what's the recommended method? Spray WD40 into the mechanism with it still in place? Or remove the trip lever and lubricate it? And what's the recommended lubricant? I know that WD40 isn't really a lubricant, it's a solvent that just cleans parts that slide against each other. So I'm wondering what people use for this sort of thing.

There is one other thing, there are 3 holes on the trip lever for the chain that attaches to the flapper, and I'm using the hole that's farthest from the handle itself. That's the hole that was being used on the original trip lever, but I'm wondering if one of the other holes might work better? Any advice there?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Could the anchor nut be too tight? As to the hole in the arm, you want the position that is closest to being directly over the flapper so you're not trying to pull it up at an angle.

MrDoh

Reaction score
Just checked and the nut holding on the trip lever is just finger tight. Which shouldn't be too tight.

I did notice that when the trip lever is "hung up" instead of dropping, it takes a bit of a nudge to get it to drop. Again, seems like a lubrication problem, but I'm not sure what happened in the couple of days since I originally installed it and it dropped as it should. No visible problem, looks like it should work, but that trip lever just won't drop like should. Apparently the momentum of the flapper valve falling just isn't enough to overcome the sticking of the trip lever.

This is really puzzling to me...it all looks so simple, what's gone wrong?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
f it could be remedied with lubrication, what's the recommended method? Spray WD40 into the mechanism with it still in place? Or remove the trip lever and lubricate it? And what's the recommended lubricant? I know that WD40 isn't really a lubricant, it's a solvent that just cleans parts that slide against each other.
WD-40 is a lubricant. If you have it handy, try that.

Silicone spray lube is good.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

How long has it been in service?

If out of warranty, you can get an OEM replacement, or put in a generic replacement.

MrDoh

Reaction score
WD-40 is a lubricant. If you have it handy, try that.

Silicone spray lube is good.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

How long has it been in service?

If out of warranty, you can get an OEM replacement, or put in a generic replacement.

Couple of days. Like I said, when I put the new trip lever in a couple of days ago, worked great. Now seems to be getting internally hung up a bit somehow.

Guess I'll try spraying a little WD40 into the mechanism there and see if that helps after a few flushes...silicone spray lubricant sounds good, as well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Something with a bit more staying power might be some lithium spray grease. If you disconnect the chain, how does the handle feel? Without that connection, it may be easier to discern where the problem is, and what the fix may be. FWIW, I'd unscrew it and take a close look at the shaft and the housing it goes through. May be a little rough spot you can sand or cut off easily.

MrDoh

Reaction score
Something with a bit more staying power might be some lithium spray grease. If you disconnect the chain, how does the handle feel? Without that connection, it may be easier to discern where the problem is, and what the fix may be. FWIW, I'd unscrew it and take a close look at the shaft and the housing it goes through. May be a little rough spot you can sand or cut off easily.

Good idea, I'll take it apart as soon as I get a chance, like in the morning *smile*. It is a pretty simple mechanism, after all.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MrDoh

Reaction score
It's working right again today, who knows for how long. Maybe it was a rough spot that's already worn off, who knows. I'm not motivated to take it apart though, until it stops working right again. Love mechanical devices.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks