Toilet Gurgles

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
My brother has a toilet that gurgles whenever the bath sink is running or the washing machine is draining. The sink is right next to the gurgling toilet, and the washer is on the other side of the same wall. Those three apparently share the same drain at some point. Everything is wall-vented (he told me), though I'm not sure what that means.

He had a drain company snake out the line from a clean-out in the basement, but the problem came back very quickly. Any ideas what to do next?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the problem went away then came back with the drain snaking then they either didn't do a good enough job or, there is a problem with the line...

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
If the toilet is gurgling then the line is blocked and full of water up to and past the vent for the toilet and as the water rises it forces air out through the toilet causing it to gurgle.
Line is blocked and needs to be addressed. Have a plumber run the line again, if it has not been long then it should be under warranty, if the warranty has expired ask for a discount.
Need to clear the line before you can take further actions if needed.
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiko

Reaction score
My brother called the drain company back, and they now say it is a vent issue. Apparently, there was only one vent put in (wall type) for his entire new addition. This includes 4 sinks, 1 toilet, and one washing machine drain. Do you agree that a lack of proper venting is responsible for the toilet gurgling?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the plumbing worked at one point, then the vents must be there and working.

It still sounds like a mainline backup to the rest of us. Vents just don't quit working, unless the take off for the vent is under water.

Here is a working example of two bathrooms with one vent though the roof.

dwv_b2.jpg

Kiko

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what a "take off" is.
But assuming it is not under water, since power rodding from the clean out didn't work, would you recommend pulling the toilet and rodding it from there? or removing the trap from the sink next to the toilet and rodding from there?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
When water is going down the drain, it is pulling a vacuum or air behind it. If the vent is not there you will hear gurgling in the drain because of the vacuum that forms in the pipe behind this flow of water. It is trying to suck the water out of the "p" trap. That is why if you put your thumb on the end of a straw full of water it will not flow out. When you take your thumb off it flows out because the vent at the top is open. If you can not fix the vent, you could try an air admittance valve located after the trap at the sink etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks