Toilet From Hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with an Eljer toilet that has a round plastic trough around the flush valve that allows water in via 2 small holes in the bottom near the front?

I went to replace the flapper with a red Korky, but it didn't work. The water that entered this stupid trough kept pushing the Korky up and it wouldn't seal. I ended up having to clean the old flapper and re-used it. What kind of flapper was that? It didn't have any markings.

BTW, the reason it's a toilet from hell is because there is a solid oak cabinet just above it. And, after I set the toilet I lifted my head up too quickly and rammed my head into the bottom of it. I've still got a headache from that one.:mad:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That was either a 3.5 gpf or one of the very earyl 1.6 gpf. If I remember, they don't work well at all, and you would be well served to replace the whole thing. But it can be repaired. I haven't seen one in a long time, so I don't remember if there is a unique OEM flapper required. If you just take it to a plumbing supply, I am sure they will fix you up.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I can't find the right flapper, I was thinking of just replacing the flush valve with a normal one (with no trough). Would that work?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
A buddy of mine once cut the trough close to the flapper so the water would pour over the flapper pushing it down. I know its a bit odd but the old flapper was in bad shape from toilet tank bleaching disks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have cut one of thoes and it helped it to flush a bit better.

Cutting may help the new flapper work right.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll try cutting it when the flapper really does need replacing. I was just replacing it because I had replaced the fill valve, the tank bolts and the gasket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks