Toilet From Hell

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Verdeboy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Anyone familiar with an Eljer toilet that has a round plastic trough around the flush valve that allows water in via 2 small holes in the bottom near the front?

I went to replace the flapper with a red Korky, but it didn't work. The water that entered this stupid trough kept pushing the Korky up and it wouldn't seal. I ended up having to clean the old flapper and re-used it. What kind of flapper was that? It didn't have any markings.

BTW, the reason it's a toilet from hell is because there is a solid oak cabinet just above it. And, after I set the toilet I lifted my head up too quickly and rammed my head into the bottom of it. I've still got a headache from that one.:mad:
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That was either a 3.5 gpf or one of the very earyl 1.6 gpf. If I remember, they don't work well at all, and you would be well served to replace the whole thing. But it can be repaired. I haven't seen one in a long time, so I don't remember if there is a unique OEM flapper required. If you just take it to a plumbing supply, I am sure they will fix you up.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

If I can't find the right flapper, I was thinking of just replacing the flush valve with a normal one (with no trough). Would that work?
  4. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

A buddy of mine once cut the trough close to the flapper so the water would pour over the flapper pushing it down. I know its a bit odd but the old flapper was in bad shape from toilet tank bleaching disks.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

I have cut one of thoes and it helped it to flush a bit better.

Cutting may help the new flapper work right.
  6. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

I'll try cutting it when the flapper really does need replacing. I was just replacing it because I had replaced the fill valve, the tank bolts and the gasket.