Toilet for Limited Space

Users who are viewing this thread

gw

Reaction score
Hey Terry/folks:

Currently looking for a toilet to replace an old, problematic, inefficient Eljer in a very small area.

Here are the specs:

Rough-in is 14" (actual measure is 13.5").
Supply is about 5.5" from both floor and toilet center line.
Color is Almond/Bone (to match tub right next to it; cha-ching, add $100).
Elongated is preferred (same as current).
HET replacement (1.28 GPF or dual flush).
$400 or less to spend, but a good rated and decent looking toilet.

I need to conserve as much room as possible. The current toilet's front edge is about 29" from the wall. I'd like to keep it the same or preferably less (28" would be great) but the options are very limited. I thought a skirted Toto with 14" adapter might work (e.g., Vespin), but the supply presents a problem with that. I'm about to throw in the towel and just go with an AS Cadet 3 Saver at Lowe's which would not save any room (would intrude about as much as any other option) and the price is certainly lowest. Is there a better choice?

Thanks.

Hfly1

Reaction score
The AS Clean with Cadet type flush worked well for me

Hey Terry/folks:

Currently looking for a toilet to replace an old, problematic, inefficient Eljer in a very small area.

Here are the specs:

Rough-in is 14" (actual measure is 13.5").
Supply is about 5.5" from both floor and toilet center line.
Color is Almond/Bone (to match tub right next to it; cha-ching, add $100).
Elongated is preferred (same as current).
HET replacement (1.28 GPF or dual flush).
$400 or less to spend, but a good rated and decent looking toilet.

I need to conserve as much room as possible. The current toilet's front edge is about 29" from the wall. I'd like to keep it the same or preferably less (28" would be great) but the options are very limited. I thought a skirted Toto with 14" adapter might work (e.g., Vespin), but the supply presents a problem with that. I'm about to throw in the towel and just go with an AS Cadet 3 Saver at Lowe's which would not save any room (would intrude about as much as any other option) and the price is certainly lowest. Is there a better choice?

Thanks.

Sounds like a tough spot. There are many supply adaptors and line lengths that can help, but I understand if you don't want a cobbled together look. I put an AS Clean round bowl in a very small area and it worked really well. It is not elongated, but the seat seems to be quite comfortable. The skirt is not as wide as you need, I'm not sure about a adaptor. The flush is great. From what I can gather it is the cadet flush. The box actually said Clean Cadet. I recommend this line as well as the Toto. I have a Toto Drake which I am very pleased with.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
WHOA!!!!

Do not just go get the AS. Yecch.

The Vespin II in Bone would seem to meet all of your needs, including price. Google CST474CEFG, Color #3.

Here's the spec sheet: Vespin II spec sheet
28-5/16 length plus about 3/4" off the wall on the 14" Unifit adapter., or about 29-1/16" from the wall to the tip of the elongated bowl.

Don't be concerned about the supply. Although Toto recommends 8-1/2" off the centerline for the supply, that's just if you want to run a metal pipe straight up. Everyone these days uses a flexible braided hose to provide water, unless they are really into bending metal pipe, so the only issue is whether the toilet will fit next to the supply. On the Vespin II, you can get by with 5-1/2"; i.e. the toilet will fit. Even if it didn't, it's no big deal to turn off the water and install either a smaller stop with a smaller handle or a 90-degree elbow and a little bit of pipe (a "90"), or one of the combination pieces that include a 90-degree turn and a new angle stop, like this one from Dahl: http://www.dahlvalve.com/brochure/Totokit.pdf With the Dahl kit, you can even have the supply come out of the wall directly on the centerline behind the toilet and still hook it up no problem.

There's a thread on here where I showed a guy how easy it would be to just turn off the water, cut the pipe, and install the new cutoff, including a video showing it done. It's just a compression fitting, so no soldering necessary. He had no idea it would be so simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

gw

Reaction score
Thanks. The spec on the Vespin showed the half-width at the skirt bottom to be around 5.9" - which would be into the supply. I saw the skirt does taper a bit but couldn't tell how much room that leaves once you're 5.5 inches up from the floor. Since you indicated it would definitely fit without much trouble, it might be worth a try.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a link about 14" rough information.
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?31868-14-quot-Rough-In-Toilet-Choices

Whatever bowl you get, if the shutoff is coming from the floor, that will limit you. You may need to pick a bowl with that in mind.
If the shutoff was on the wall, and 5.5" off center, it would be fine with the II series from TOTO.
You won't be getting bone and 14" though for the price range you are looking at though.

Last edited:

gw

Reaction score
The supply is from the wall so it might work.

I do like Toto - put in two already. We had a similar issue with another small bathroom - I chiseled out tile and concrete and put in an offset flange. Probably a no-no, but there have been zero problems with it since it was done a few years ago. I've seen positive reviews on the AS, and it is available down the road today at half the price of the Vespin. The Toto I'll have to order and get shipped unless I want to pay an even higher price from a local outfit that would probably have to order it as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just sold a Drake to a customer in Seattle that had a busted toilet arrive on a trucked delivery. So sad for the online provider.

The American Standard may be the way to go in that price range. It will stick out a bit more from the wall, but will take less out of your wallet.

gw

Reaction score
You're right about the Vespin - that's a bit beyond the budget. Another option that may work okay is a Kohler Santa Rosa K-3810-47.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think you should shop around for the Vespin II. It's available in bone in the price range you quoted if you shop around. That's why I gave you the model number. Do yourself a favor, take the hint, and love the Toto. :) (i.e. don't consider just one supplier as prices vary wildly).

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
List prices on Totos are not realistic of selling price in most stores, so do shop. While Terry only sells locally, you can get a decent idea of what one should cost if you check out his storefront on the site.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

A 14" toilet uses a 12" bowl with a tank that is 2" deeper than the 12" one so the toilet WILL protrude from the wall 2" more than if it were on a 12" rough, add to that the extra 2" for the elongated bowl and you will usually come up with a unit the extends 29-30" from the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks