Toilet for a heavy TP user and occasional clogger?

Users who are viewing this thread

MFfan310

Reaction score
The main toilet in our house, a 1992 3.5 gpf Mansfield (the one with the rectangular tank and the plastic valve instead of a flapper), is facing a significant challenge as of late: A male member in the household is either giving it dual flushes or clogging it up.

When he takes a download, he uses TP (the thick cushy stuff, Charmin Ultra Soft, Cottonelle Ultra, or the like... the cheap stuff is like sandpaper to him) and a lot of it. And to top it off, he adds those Charmin moist flushable wipes to the mix. All this plus the ol' dump presents a challenge for the old Mansfield... we have to dump a bucket of water down it at least once a month to get out the clogs.

So, I'm looking at replacing the toilet with something that can get the whole job done in one flush without clogging... preferably a two-piece gravity-fed model (it's next to a bedroom, so pressure-assist is not a good idea). ADA/comfort height would be good as well, and I don't have a brand preference as long as it works and it is a quality product. A WaterSense toilet would be nice, but not mandatory. And it has to have a $450 or less average price (lower is better)... we're not willing to pay too much of a premium.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Tall bowl and Eco?

TOTO Drake ADA, CST744EL
or
TOTO Drake II, CST454CEFG

Pair these with a softclose SS114 seat and you have it.

Terry, you meant elongated and not Eco, correct? The ADA, standard 1.6 gpf, elongated seem to have the best MaP ratings.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The main toilet in our house, a 1992 3.5 gpf Mansfield (the one with the rectangular tank and the plastic valve instead of a flapper), is facing a significant challenge as of late: A male member in the household is either giving it dual flushes or clogging it up.

When he takes a download, he uses TP (the thick cushy stuff, Charmin Ultra Soft, Cottonelle Ultra, or the like... the cheap stuff is like sandpaper to him) and a lot of it. And to top it off, he adds those Charmin moist flushable wipes to the mix. All this plus the ol' dump presents a challenge for the old Mansfield... we have to dump a bucket of water down it at least once a month to get out the clogs.

So, I'm looking at replacing the toilet with something that can get the whole job done in one flush without clogging... preferably a two-piece gravity-fed model (it's next to a bedroom, so pressure-assist is not a good idea). ADA/comfort height would be good as well, and I don't have a brand preference as long as it works and it is a quality product. A WaterSense toilet would be nice, but not mandatory. And it has to have a $450 or less average price (lower is better)... we're not willing to pay too much of a premium.

Any suggestions?

What you've stated is that you're wasteful. I would imagine you're spending well over $400 in toilet paper alone, along with 1000's of gallons of water.

This is a more appropriate solution to your situation, along with the toilet recommendation. I'm sure there's a benefit to buying both at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am sorry, but that sort of toilet paper used in those sorts of quantities will block any toilet, even the ones suggested here.

Less paper or the thinner stuff. Those are the options before you consider a new toilet. He can keep the wipes though.

I should know. I'm just like him. ;)

You might want to suggest he starts with the wipes and ends with the paper. He'll use a lot less paper that way.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
He's definitely using the wrong type of paper. I have found the best paper is a sold as a house brand by many chain stores. In my area that's Safeway and Albertson's, but I'm sure Kroger's and other large chains sell the same paper under their house names. Safeway calls there Softly. I would still advise a new toilet.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I might get a bidet seat for my basement toilet when I install it.

I have located a recepacle near where the toilet will be for this purpose (ready to be wired to a dedicated bathroom circuit). I am so gonna slap one of these babies on a Cadet 3.

Questions: Can this be run off the cold supply? I will not need to run hot water for this will I? Or even a second cold? How does it heat the water and where does that water come from?

e200_zoom.jpg

Another question: I see there are lots of options. What's the top of the range?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it uses a T off of the supply to refill the toilet. It has a built-in heater to warm the water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It uses the same water supply that the toilet uses.
The seats come with a tee, so all you need is an outlet to plug into.
The seats come with a 3 foot cord.
It's almost like a simple seat replacement, and you wind up with a bidet and dryer.

inax_lucense_mi.jpg

The INAX Lucense pictured is pretty top of the line.

TOTO makes some that fit their toilets that have auto opening and flushing. Those would be the S400 series.

The Neorest 500, 550 and 600 come complete with washlet.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The Caroma Caravel has a 4" trapway and will flush about anything...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Adding a washlet to your toilet

I had an extra washlet, so I thought I would install it today and show Ian the tee that fits on the inlet of the fill valve.
I was just talking to the nurse at the U of W in Radiology anyway, and it was suggested that I use one of these
So nice!

c100-old-01.jpg

It's the older C100 model, not quite as modern as the others I'm selling.
I have a BioBidet 1000 that I may put in the other bathroom.

TOTO SW2034#01 C100 WASHLET Electronic Bidet Toilet Seat, Elongated, Cotton White

c100-old-02.jpg

Ian, here is how it's connected.
Just plug this baby in and go!

c100-old-03.jpg

These are the parts that come with this washlet.
The plastic mount allows you to remove the washlet for cleaning,
Just takes a second to pop it off, or pop in on.

Toilet Paper Poll

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks