Toilet for 12 3/4" drain placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Barbaraa

Reaction score
In my recent bathroom reno, the toilet drain was moved and placed at 12 3/4" rather than the standard 12". The toilet I purchased was a Cadet 3 which sits further from the wall according to other threads. So, combined, the toilet sits too far from the wall.... Can you recommend a toilet that might fit better?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At 12-3/4" most bowls will be out from the wall. Which I perfer over having the tank touch the wall.
Some toilets have less space behind the tank then others.

Most standard 12" toilets will have between 1/2" and 1-1/8" behind the tank at 12"
Something like a TOTO Drake II would have 1/2" behind the tank at 12", but then that's an elongated bowl.
Is it the space behind, or how far it comes out into the room?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most toilets have space behind...yours sounds like it would have had a pretty large space even if the flange was at the design distance of 12" (i.e., that gap would be 3/4" smaller, and still over an inch). There isn't much of anything you can do with the existing toilet, but a close review of the spec sheets of other toilets should find you one that will have a smaller gap. Most people live with it unless they need the room in front of the toilet. Many of the Toto toilets are designed with a 3/4" gap, so would still be 1.5" (3/4 + the 'error' in your flange of 3/4").

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rough in size is often misunderstood. We are accustomed to quoted size numbers to be a finite number, but this is not true with toilet rough-in. It is often impossible for a plumber to center a toilet flange at exactly 12" from the finished wall as the frequently is a floor joist that prevents it. So, the flange may be plus or minus a little. Fortunately, toilet manufacturers allow for this when they cast the their toilets. A 12" toilet does not require the full 12". There is always space between the tank and wall. In your situation, this means a somewhat large space, but sometimes the flange may be less than 12" and in that case, the 12" toilet may still fit, it will just be closer to the wall. Sometimes the offending floor joist is is such a bad position that the flange can not be even close to 12", and that presents other problems that have to be dealt with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks