Toilet flushing problem grows

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by DIYPlumber1, May 14, 2012.

1. DIYPlumber1

DIYPlumber1 Engineering Technician

The toilet and sink in one of my bathrooms was working fine. Then the toilet got to where it gave a poor flush like it was having trouble going down. I them took a plunger to it to get it moving. All I did was move sewage into the bath tub. When I try to use the sink it bubbles up in the toilet. The other batroom still works just fine. I want the first bath to drain but do want to compound my problem. Where to start?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like the main line is blocked.
  3. DIYPlumber1

I am probably missing something here but how can the main line be plugged if the other batroom that backs up to this one works fine or are we taking between the two batrooms?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Well then, at least the line with that toilet. Plunging the toilet shouldn't be moving waste over to the tub.
    The toilet is a 3 to 4 line. Once it hits that line, it's supposed to be free sailing.
  5. DIYPlumber1

How would you approch solving this problem? Remove the toilet and auger?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the line is obstructed under the floor between the two toilets, YOU may not have the equipment or ability to clear it. Call a plumber. And if you do call a plumber, do NOT remove the toilet to "help" him out.
  7. DIYPlumber1

So I removed the toilet in the offending batroom snaked the drain with a power snake while running a small stream of water down the drain. The situation is still the same. One bathroom drains and one does not. Now what to do???
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Call that plumber we advised previously. It is VERY possible for a clogged line to affect one toilet and not the other. It depends on HOW they connect to the main line, and how clogged it is. IF YOU snaked through the closet connection, your snake was probably NOT the size needed.