toilet flushing causes gurgling in adjacent bathtub drain....

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ugmw177, Jun 11, 2014.

1. ugmw177

ugmw177 New Member

Hi guys,
    THanks in advance for all of your knowledge.

In my Kids' bathroom, when one flushes the toilet [a Champion IV by American Standard], during the flush, a lot of gurgling takes place from the tub drain that is beside it. My assumption is that the vent stack is clogged somewhere above this bathroom and the resulting vacuum in the sanitary line as the flush water flows down is pulling air in through the bathtub drain and gurgling at the bathtub trap. Doeis this sound correct or is it some other issue?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is ONE possibility, and maybe the least likely one.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If we had some idea of how the drains and vents were installed, then the problem would be pretty easy to pin down.
  4. ugmw177

ugmw177 New Member

ok, here is all i know about the set up. The bathroom is a second floor bath with tub/shower, toilet, and dual lavatory. below it is a powder room with toilet and single lav that is connected to the same waste line. In addition, in the attic above there is a vent/soil stact that exits above the roof line. In addition, there is a connection to the soil stack that drains the HVAC system that is installed in the attic. This connection has plugged up in the past.

on rare ocassions, when someone takes a long shower with lots of shampoo upstairs, soapy bubbles appear in the toilet on the first floor powder room.
  5. ugmw177

ugmw177 New Member

Bump. Still need help...
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Seems to me that you may have a slow drain. Do you have ready access to a cleanout below that toilet such as in the basement? It seems to me that the drain should be able to keep up with a long shower. If you could open the cleanout without spilling a lot of water on the floor, you could monitor while the upstairs shower and sink were sending maximum water. Yell/phone to the person upstairs to stop the water if the water in the drain rises.[​IMG]

I am not a pro.
  7. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

As to the problem discussed in the first question, one other possibility is that some hack ran the tub drain through a heel inlet into the closet bend, so the flush force of a toilet like the Champion (or any Toto) siphons the tub drain. Consistent with what HJ says, until you know how the stuff is hooked up, you don't know what the most likely cause is...