toilet flushing causes gurgling in adjacent bathtub drain....

Users who are viewing this thread

ugmw177

Reaction score
Hi guys,
THanks in advance for all of your knowledge.

In my Kids' bathroom, when one flushes the toilet [a Champion IV by American Standard], during the flush, a lot of gurgling takes place from the tub drain that is beside it. My assumption is that the vent stack is clogged somewhere above this bathroom and the resulting vacuum in the sanitary line as the flush water flows down is pulling air in through the bathtub drain and gurgling at the bathtub trap. Doeis this sound correct or is it some other issue?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If we had some idea of how the drains and vents were installed, then the problem would be pretty easy to pin down.

ugmw177

Reaction score
ok, here is all i know about the set up. The bathroom is a second floor bath with tub/shower, toilet, and dual lavatory. below it is a powder room with toilet and single lav that is connected to the same waste line. In addition, in the attic above there is a vent/soil stact that exits above the roof line. In addition, there is a connection to the soil stack that drains the HVAC system that is installed in the attic. This connection has plugged up in the past.

on rare ocassions, when someone takes a long shower with lots of shampoo upstairs, soapy bubbles appear in the toilet on the first floor powder room.

Reach4

Reaction score
on rare ocassions, when someone takes a long shower with lots of shampoo upstairs, soapy bubbles appear in the toilet on the first floor powder room.

Seems to me that you may have a slow drain. Do you have ready access to a cleanout below that toilet such as in the basement? It seems to me that the drain should be able to keep up with a long shower. If you could open the cleanout without spilling a lot of water on the floor, you could monitor while the upstairs shower and sink were sending maximum water. Yell/phone to the person upstairs to stop the water if the water in the drain rises.
basement-sewer-cleanout.jpg

I am not a pro.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As to the problem discussed in the first question, one other possibility is that some hack ran the tub drain through a heel inlet into the closet bend, so the flush force of a toilet like the Champion (or any Toto) siphons the tub drain. Consistent with what HJ says, until you know how the stuff is hooked up, you don't know what the most likely cause is...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks