Toilet flushing by itself?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jskd82, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jskd82

jskd82 New Member

What would cause my toilet to flush by itself? I am not sure if it is a full flush but I have heard it refilling the tank a couple times already. I don't live in the home and I am hardly there so I am not sure how often it does this.
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Your flapper is leaking. Replace the flapper and it will stop refilling.
  3. gtc

gtc New Member

Ditto.

Shut off the water supply one night and the tank will probably be empty in the morning.

I just had the same problem over the weekend and changed the flapper. The replacement was about $5 at Lowes. Bring your current one with you so you get right one to replace it. There were several to choose from.
  4. prashster

prashster New Member

You shld be seeing ripples in the bowl if there's a leak from the tank into the bowl.

I'd press the flapper down to see if it seats tightly and stops the trickle. If yes, then replace flapper. If no, cld be the flush valve needs replacing.
  5. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

The worst thing for a flapper are those drop in toilet cleaners... FYI
  6. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Unless you need a special kind of flapper, just buy a red Korky. It's the best of the bunch.
  7. grazzy

grazzy New Member

how long do the red ones last compared relatively to the black rubber ones? i had one in an american standard that was about 3 years old and it leaked like a sieve. as soon as i replaced it with the black one, all leaking stopped. the texture of the red one still feels brand new, but it doesn't do the job. :confused:
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The red Korky last longer.
    And they cost more.
    I never use the black ones on repairs.

But then I also have a box of them, so if one doesn't work, I throw it away.
  9. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

The red ones last longer and they are not so messy to replace.

The black flappers tend to disintegrate, and you don't want to touch one with your bare hands when you go to replace it. They stain everything they come into contact with.