Toilet flush causes sink to gurgle

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by brianh2000, Feb 10, 2008.

1. brianh2000

brianh2000 New Member

Just as the Title says, whenever an upstairs toilet is flushed, the kitchen sink gurgles. It also causes a gurgling sound in the upstairs bathtubs.

Secenrio:

Newly constructed luxury home.. 4 yrs old

4 bathrooms..

2 upper level
    1 main level
    1 lower level

Changes to plumbing made:

The lower level bathroom was installed 3 yrs ago,
    plumbling got dinged for improper venting at inspection.. corrected.

Single bowl kitchen sink was replaced with a double bowl when Granite countertops were installed. not inspected.

Seems the gurgling began after one of the two were completed, it became more noticable after the kitchen sink was installed.

Any idea's????

Forgot to mention, there is a flex PVC pipe installed under the sink with an additional elbow.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

While it does sound like a venting problem unfortunately, without anyone being able to look at it to see how the vents are runned, it is extremely, hard for anyone to tell you how to correct it.
  3. krow

krow Plumber

Before you open up any walls

Double check if the vent stack isn't being abstructed by some sort of nest. If it checks out, make sure your main drain is not plugged (stranger things have happened)
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Are you in a frozen wasteland where snow could be covering the vent on the roof or, frost closure is occurring on the vent pipe?

The newer toilets with a 3" flush valve push air and water much more forcefully than before.
    If you can extend the vent up through the roof, you should be fine. As you know now, it's not admitting air, it's giving air a place to go. You have a "positive" pressure when the new toilet is flushed.
    I see it all the time.

The new wet venting codes were put in practice "before" the advent of the new high performance toilets.
    My guess, is that it will take years to convince some of the older plumbers that times have moved on.
    Plumbing design must take into account the new performace levels that we are seeing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014