Toilet flood safety valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Davidson

Reaction score
Does something exist that would limit water flow to a toilet to say 2 gallons

per burst so that you couldn't have a blocked drain and a flapper failure flood

situation? As you may surmise I had one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Functionally, not that I'm aware of. If the flapper is not sealing and water just keeps flowing while you have a clogged drain, then just like a faucet that drips, it will continue to overflow.

There are electronic valves that have moisture sensors that would shut off the water if a sensor got wet, but they are fairly expensive. These can have multiple sensors, but usually are set to shut off the water to the whole building.

Bill Davidson

Reaction score
I imagined a flow control device that would go between the wall valve and the toilet fill valve that wouldn't let the clogged toilet overflow for 5 hours. this device would limit any one fill cycle to say 2-3 gallons then shut off until you reset it. It would be a mechanical counter with maybe a battery powered
solenoid gate valve. I bet a 9 volt battery would run it like one those
keypad door locks. Any of you inventors up to it? If you could set it maybe it could work for dishwashers, ice makers, washers, the things that when they leak could cause a lot a damage.

That way so when young teenager clogs the toilet, starts flushing like mad breaks the flapper, then panics and runs out of the house leaving a second floor toilet overflowing this device would stop the flow.
It would stop after a few gallons, not continue overflowing for for 5 hours
until an adult returned.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Install a toilet that doesn't clog seems to me to be the best bet. I don't think you can clog a Toto short of trying to flush something like a cell phone or phone book. Not only that, you'll have the best toilet made on this planet.

Probedude

Reaction score
I imagined a flow control device that would go between the wall valve and the toilet fill valve that wouldn't let the clogged toilet overflow for 5 hours. this device would limit any one fill cycle to say 2-3 gallons then shut off until you reset it. It would be a mechanical counter with maybe a battery powered
solenoid gate valve. I bet a 9 volt battery would run it like one those
keypad door locks. Any of you inventors up to it? If you could set it maybe it could work for dishwashers, ice makers, washers, the things that when they leak could cause a lot a damage.

That way so when young teenager clogs the toilet, starts flushing like mad breaks the flapper, then panics and runs out of the house leaving a second floor toilet overflowing this device would stop the flow.
It would stop after a few gallons, not continue overflowing for for 5 hours
until an adult returned.

Doesn't putting it out on the internet like this make it no longer patentable?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks