Toilet flapper gets stuck open

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
On my new American Standard Cadet 3, the toilet flapper occassionally gets stuck open after a flush.

After lots of research, I have found that this happens when the piece of metal attaching the chain to the flapper (as seen in the picture of a flapper with a similar attachment to mine) gets stuck and angles itself to prevent the flapper from closing.

What can I replace this with? I think a small key ring would do the trick.

A standard flapper, not a Cadet 3 flapper

Or I could loosen the chain, but then risk weak flushing with the flapper snapping shut with less than a full flush unless the handle is really cranked and held open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You want to make sure you have a little slack in the chain.
The flapper on the Cadet 3 is a timed flapper.
You don't need to hold the handle down. It will raise for a little bit and drop.
Just a little water leave the tank, that is normal.
They don't make tanks that drain completely anymore with the 1.6 gallon standard.
It may be, that because you are holding the handle down, you are turning the handle in the square hole, and changing the position of the handle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks