Toilet flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Geo422, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Geo422

Geo422 New Member

Hi need some advice again wife want a small bath painted. The toilet had a marble slab under it the toilet flrange is bolted to top of the hardwood floor. We decided not to put the marble back under the toilet and I used a regular wax ring got the toilet bolted down level and flushed it couple of times and the toilet leaking. Any and all advice is welcome thanks george
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If the flange is on top of the finished flooring, then you can use one wax ring. If the flange is below the floor, you will need two wax rings.
  3. Geo422

Geo422 New Member

Terry I put one regular wax ring on it left the marble out and it leaking guess I goof up on the wax ring I try it again thanks george
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

By taking out the marble slab, the toilet sits lower...are you sure that it actually sits flat and level now without rocking? If the flange was high enough to make a decent seal with the slab there, it may be too high. A rocking toilet will eventually leak as the wax isn't springy...mush it down, then rock back, and now you have a gap. It may need resetting with some shims to make it stable.
  5. Geo422

Geo422 New Member

Reset the toilet now no leaking. Set level and no movement. Thanks george
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Are you sure the leak is from the wax ring seal? You have to really "screw it up" for it to leak "immediately" after installing the toilet.