Toilet flange too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

John Romain

Reaction score
First of all, thank you everyone for all of the great information on this forum. It's made my first bathroom renovation much less scary.

So the latest thing to fix is my toilet. The original tile that I removed was lath and cement which raised the finished height to about 1" off the subfloor. In my quick fix I used 2 layers of 1/2" Hardie board under the toilet to get to the correct height. After complaints about the toilet being to high, I'm trying to bring it level to the floor.

The flooring I'm using is 12mm and I'm ALMOST to the same height as the original floor - maybe still a 1/4" short, but I can push the flange to be level and it stays. Should I be worried about damaging the pipe if I set the toilet on this? Should I just shim the toilet a bit for some height? I'm not sure I can even lower the flange as it seems connected directly to a 90 elbow.

Thoughts?
20170216_204205.jpg
20170216_204220.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
but I can push the flange to be level and it stays.
I would screw the flange to the final floor. There are 4 holes for the purpose. It is unclear if there are already 2 screws that did not bite. If there are, maybe bigger flat head screws could bite into the wood.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The flange is supposed to sit on top of the finished floor as you show it. The toilet doesn't actually sit on the flange, it sits on the finished floor. It looks the tile will be fully supporting the flange once you get some thinset under it.
I would clean out the left over material from the protective cap (just so there is nothing to catch on any debris going down the pipe).

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure but terry could answer this. Is it possible to use one of the toilets with the black adapter where you drop the toilet on. It's skirted and might just drop right to the floor

Attachments

• aquia_adapter.jpg
    aquia_adapter.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,186

John Romain

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Plumbing is not really accessible from below. It's running through a soffit in my kitchen. My main concern is that when I nail it down I will be force the long pipe in the soffit to angle toward the toilet instead of toward the drain. Maybe some exploratory drywall removal is in order.

Edit-no thinset for the floor it's allure ultra vinyl plank.

Reach4

Reaction score
My main concern is that when I nail it down I will be force the long pipe in the soffit to angle toward the toilet instead of toward the drain. Maybe some exploratory drywall removal is in order.
How about holding down the flange, and pouring a little water in. Does it drain or pool?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about holding down the flange, and pouring a little water in. Does it drain or pool?
Screw it down and reclaim your life. The flush is sudden and voluminous and that quarter inch of fall you lost amounts to nothing. The next flush will carry any scanty leftovers on down the pipe on it's trip towards the big lake.

John Romain

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I poured some water down - first 2 gallons and then an 8oz cup. In both instances I could hear the water run down the main stack in the other wall. Good call Reach4!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks