Toilet flange too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Elocin6

Reaction score
We are in the homestretch of our remodel. A bit of history: I live in Hawaii, the house I live in was built in 2008. The housing track here is concrete slab and the tile on the ground level is laid directly on the concrete slab. The grey color is the tile, not a sub floor and not being replaced, that is the brand new tile. The flange is about 1/2 inch above the tile. We originally bought a Toto Ultramax II and discovered our rough in is 11 1/4 inches, so we will return the toilet and buy one that has 10 inch rough in. Problem is what to do with the flange as we are assuming it needs to be level with the floor?? How do we replace that flange?

Attachments

• Toilet.JPG
    Toilet.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 580

Reach4

Reaction score
It is normal for the bottom of the ring to be flush with the floor, but the top of the ring would normally sit higher than the floor. One half inch seems high though. I suggest you lay a straight edge across the top and measure more carefully. Then maybe compare that to the toilet that you happen to have handy. Most toilets are not going to have as much clearance as in the cutaway picture below, but maybe enough for your existing flange.

Also, with 11.75, you might be able to fit a 12 inch offset toilet in there. There can be a little leeway. The toilet can be typically bolted a little off center.

There may be alternatives. Is that pipe 4 inches internal diameter? If that existing PVC flange went away, you could put in a new inside flange.
index.php

I am not a plumber. I'll bet a plumber could quickly give you a new flange with a metal ring and a 12 inch rough.

Elocin6

Reaction score
Thank you for the picture. I kept trying to explain this visual to my husband. The original toilet we bought was a Toto Ultramax II and it was right up against the wall and I though the toilet was hitting the front edge of the flange and we did not have space to move the toilet back to see if it would "drop" into the hole, so to speak. I guess we will pick up a 10 inch rough in toilet and see if the flange height is an issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have a spacer sitting on top of the flange. Remove that first, and then set the bolts at 11-5" from the wall. You should be able to install the Ultramax II on that. The horn of the Ultramax II is 2-5/8", and you have some room there to shift the bowl out away from the wall with a 3" drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks