Toilet Flange Repair Ring, the Best Choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hercules2424

Reaction score
I am trying to put in a new toilet. When I removed the old one, there was only a toilet flange repair ring in place, which was severly corroded. I removed the ring. However, the pipe is a lead pipe with a slight bent in the pipe on one side. It is 4" Diameter, but a 4" flange will not fit. A 3" flange will fit inside the lead pipe, but is uneven because the concrete floor is a little uneven. I thought about putting a toilet flange closet repair ring, which was what was there before, back in place. I drilled holes in the concrete to anchor down the toilet repair ring to the concrete floor. Then I put the wax ring on top of this? Will this work or will my toilet leak? I did buy closet bolts to put under the ring to anchor the toilet down. Am I missing any steps? I tried looking this up online, but only found people using toilet closet flanges, not a repair ring only. Thank you.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 13,090
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,419

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I probably won't leak water unless there us a backup. However, it will leak sewer gas. You have to seal the connection of the flange to the lead pipe, and I'm not sure how this can be done. When I anchor into concrete, I use lead sleeves with #12 stainless steel screws. Others use Tapcon. Either will work just fine. Hopefully some of the pros will chime in on how to seal that joint.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I would install a deep brass flange and solder it to the lead bend,but that take a skill that takes a while to learn,you can peen the lead to the flange and ancohor it to the concrete.
The one you show will not work.

Attachments

• deep brass flange.jpg
    deep brass flange.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,978

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wax will stick to the lead.
The main thing to look for in lead is cracking.

Also with lead, I prefer wax over a waxless seal.
I've used waxless on ABS and PVC however.

red_ring_repair_2.jpg

Last edited:

Hercules2424

Reaction score
If I put down a brass flange ring, do I need to put oakum and lead too? Or can I just put beeswax on top of the flange?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF your lead is not already split, and you can get the ring around it (this assumes there's enough to do it), you then anchor the brass ring, then carefully bend the lead out over it into sort of a flared bell (say from a trumpet). Then, wax will seal it. If the lead is too short, or has splits in it, the right thing is to tear it out and replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks