Toilet Flange Repair Ring, the Best Choice?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by hercules2424, Aug 15, 2011.

1. hercules2424

hercules2424 New Member

I am trying to put in a new toilet. When I removed the old one, there was only a toilet flange repair ring in place, which was severly corroded. I removed the ring. However, the pipe is a lead pipe with a slight bent in the pipe on one side. It is 4" Diameter, but a 4" flange will not fit. A 3" flange will fit inside the lead pipe, but is uneven because the concrete floor is a little uneven. I thought about putting a toilet flange closet repair ring, which was what was there before, back in place. I drilled holes in the concrete to anchor down the toilet repair ring to the concrete floor. Then I put the wax ring on top of this? Will this work or will my toilet leak? I did buy closet bolts to put under the ring to anchor the toilet down. Am I missing any steps? I tried looking this up online, but only found people using toilet closet flanges, not a repair ring only. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I probably won't leak water unless there us a backup. However, it will leak sewer gas. You have to seal the connection of the flange to the lead pipe, and I'm not sure how this can be done. When I anchor into concrete, I use lead sleeves with #12 stainless steel screws. Others use Tapcon. Either will work just fine. Hopefully some of the pros will chime in on how to seal that joint.
  3. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I would install a deep brass flange and solder it to the lead bend,but that take a skill that takes a while to learn,you can peen the lead to the flange and ancohor it to the concrete.
    The one you show will not work.

Attached Files:

4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Now I'm not in the trades and forgive me for questioning one that is, but would not the wax ring seal to the lead pipe?
  5. hercules2424

hercules2424 New Member

What about a waxless seal?
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Wax will stick to the lead.
    The main thing to look for in lead is cracking.

Also with lead, I prefer wax over a waxless seal.
    I've used waxless on ABS and PVC however.
  7. hercules2424

hercules2424 New Member

If I put down a brass flange ring, do I need to put oakum and lead too? Or can I just put beeswax on top of the flange?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

IF your lead is not already split, and you can get the ring around it (this assumes there's enough to do it), you then anchor the brass ring, then carefully bend the lead out over it into sort of a flared bell (say from a trumpet). Then, wax will seal it. If the lead is too short, or has splits in it, the right thing is to tear it out and replace it.