Toilet Flange Recessed 1 1/8" Below Floor

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Lots to Learn, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Lots to Learn

Lots to Learn New Member

I'm helping a neighbor replace her toilet. The top of the flange sits about 1 1/8" below the surface of the tile floor. This is quite a bit more than I've been reading about for folks with this same problem. How would you handle this? I was thinking maybe either flange extenders or the Fluidmaster waxless gasket. I tried a Fernco waxless but it wasn't long enough. Would the Fluidmaster waxless be long enough?

TIA
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

1-1/8"?

The last one like that, I tried the white plastic stacking rings.
    And then after that leaked for a while, we went back, and cut out the flange entirely, bringing it above the floor by a bit.

I"m not a big fan of the stacking lifts.

Is this on a radiant floor?

For you plumbers out there. I would have been better off, just stopping and insisting that the homeowner needed additional plumbing work.
    If you need to do that much additional work, you should get paid for it.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. Lots to Learn

Lots to Learn New Member

No, I think its just tile on top of backer board on top of linoleum on top of 1/4" plywood.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Well, I wish them luck with that tiled floor, it is not the preferred installation. 1/4" luan is never a good thing underneath tile, nor is (potentially) cushioned sheet material. Hopefully, they at least installed the cbu over thinset.

If they can deal with a new flange from beneath, that would be best. You'd have to read the instruction sheet on the Fluidmaster to see the max they would fit...it might work.
  5. Lots to Learn

Lots to Learn New Member

Yeah, the tile is cracking in places. Anyway, cost is an issue in this case but I would also hate to risk a leak.