Toilet Flange Question

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Chicago DIY, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Chicago DIY

Chicago DIY New Member

I just pulled the toilet yesterday out of one of my rentals to do a quick remodel on the bathroom. The building was built in 1910

1st I could only get one bolt to unscrew, the other bolt snapped in the flange.

The toilet was lime green so Im guessing its got to be from the 50's.

Heres a pic. As you can see they've installed several floor layers around the toilet without pulling it.

My buddy recommended I got to H.D. and I guess they make a thin flange to go over this. He said I should silicon it to the existing flange and then secure it to the subfloor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

A clear picture without the wax might help...
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The bolts will come out. Now you see why the pros prefer brass ones, they don't rust!

Depending on how low the flange is and its actual condition would determine the best course of action. Ideally, the flange would be on top of the FINISHED floor, but millions aren't and don't leak. The way around that is either extra thick wax rings (most commone) or the use of an extender to raise it, then a normal wax ring. If your flange is damaged, they make repair rings.
  4. Chicago DIY

Chicago DIY New Member

I need to go back over there and scrape it away. I was thinking the cast iron was disintegrating but its got to be the old wax on there. I didn't mess with it too much.

I don't have much experience with cast iron so I probably posted prematurely.

I'll be over there tomorrow night and will post some more pics.

I picked up this thin ring at HD tonight that I may use for better support if I did crack the cast iron. Its got 6 holes for bolts so I'll silcoln it then run bolts into the subfloor and bring the area where the old flooring sat up to level.
  5. Chicago DIY

Chicago DIY New Member

False alarm - scraped the wax off got the bolts out and the flange is in great condition. That wax was nasty took me about 30mins to scrape it all off.

The flange is a little bit below finished floor level. Im guessing an 1/8 of an inch.

Is that OK or should I use a taller wax ring?

Thanks
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You probably need a thicker wax ring...they are designed to have the flange on TOP of the FINISHED floor. As an alternative, you could put on a flange extender, then use a standard wax ring.