Toilet Flange Problems

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Stevem14, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Stevem14

Stevem14 New Member

I am trying to install a tile floor in a small Downstairs Bathroom.

My problem is that when I removed the old toilet I found that the flange is not level and the cement has been chipped away from underneath.(possibly a prior repair?)

It is a 4" ABS flange on a 90 deg. closet elbow. The flange is above the crete by about 3/4" on one side and 1/8" in the other. Is there a new flange insert that will level this out at the new tile height? and should I fill in the concrete around the flange and pipe so that I can screw down the flange.

Any suggestions are much appreciated...

Thanx,
    Steve
  2. jdkimes

jdkimes Engineer

Is the flange not level or is the floor not level? or a little of both.
    Assuming the floor is but the flange is not, how come it didn't leak all over before?
    In any case you might need to break out the cement and cut the pipe and reinstall it correctly.
    I'm not aware of any special product/fitting to fix an off-level flange.

I'm not a professional plumber though.
  3. Stevem14

Stevem14 New Member

It's Ok Now

Well it's been a while since I posted this question, and I think I figured out something that will work. The flange was not level...The floor is ok.

I chipped some more concrete away from the pipe and used my compressor to blow out the sand that surrounded it. Then there was alot of play in the pipe and I used a prybar to wedge the flange over a bit until it was level. I then used some Quickrete Anchoring sement and poured that through a funnel to fill the void around the pipe and flange while I held it level with the prybar. When it dried the flange stayed level and only about 1/4" above the floor.

I am planning on using the Fluidmaster Waxless Gasket to seal the toilet when everything is finished. Now that the tile is in, the flange is about 3/16" below the tile height, and this gasket should handle this difference right?

Thank you for answering though....

Steve M
  4. MG

MG New Member

I've used one of those waxless Fluidmaster kits and it was a total pain to get the toilet to tighten down properly. Wax rings are alot easier.
  5. jdkimes

jdkimes Engineer

Normally the objective is the put the tile under the flange. But since it's already done this way you might consider using an extra thick wax ring or two regular ones stacked together.

Also did you attach the flange to the floor with some type of cement lag bolts or something like that.
    The cement all around the thing might hold pretty well but the common practice is to attach it securely to whatever floor material you have before bolting the toilet on.